optoisolator question

OK so slagging some one off and then putting a strike through is fine is it, I think it is only the action of someone who not quite in control of all their faculties.

The mistake that you keep making over and over is that you think that the only thing that is limiting the maximum amount of current is the thermal considerations. So by utilising the thermal time constant of the chip you can afford an overload because it has time to cool off before the next pulse. What you are forgetting is the two other mechanisms that can cause damage due to over current that I mentioned earlier. I have discussed this with a friend of mine who is a chip designer when working on a project that needed good reliability, I am not making this up.

Even with the thermal considerations, it depends on the thermal conditions in the local area and you can not rely on a constant thermal resistance around the chip, it depends on the silicon doping levels in the local vicinity. Do you know what this is, because I don't and without knowing the sane approach is to stick with what the manufacturer recommends. Even if you do not blow the chip up immediately there can be damage done, and that damage might take a time to show. It might not even show on every device but you can measure the damage statistically.

You think you know better than the chip manufactures and are willing to over drive the chip because you are ignorant have not got their perspective on the matter.

Remember this is a forum for beginners and advice to them must be clear and simple. It is clear that you have never done any real engineering where reliability is important. If you had you would not be pushing the manufacturers limits. Absolute is what it says not to be exceeded. Have you ever thought why there is not a recommended pulse current rating for this device when there clearly is for other devices?

When ratings are designed there is a balance between getting the maximum permissible and having the maximum life of the device.

You have a responsibility here not to give advice that could cause damage to another persons equipment. This is not a forum for caviler advice, if you want to do a slap dash job then take up plumbing. ( whit apologises to good plumbers )