deleting Topics

What is it with people that ask for help, you get some messages going, then out of the blue I guess they get their answer & delete the topic never to be seen again!
That really irks me.

The forum software allows deletion of an entire thread by the original poster? That simply shouldn't be.

Sure, I guess so we can tell folks not to post in multiple places, they can delete the redundant posts.
Allowing deleting the only thread seems like a mistake tho.

justjed:
The forum software allows deletion of an entire thread by the original poster? That simply shouldn't be.

Well I recall a few postings in the past where the originator deleted his first opening posting, but all the responding answering posts still remained. I recall because it was so strange seeing a thread with several answering posts but you couldn't tell what the original question was. So now you say the OP can delete the whole thread?

Lefty

Every other forum I've been on, only moderators can delete a topic. Unfortunately, this can get to be a lot of work for moderators, but it saves on losing information. The OP isn't the only one who benefits from the answers given, which is the reason for a no-delete policy.

Another forum I'm on gives you a set amount of time (10 minutes???) to delete a first post. Might be good here.

I think the Thread-delete is OK. At least until I read the point CrossRoad made. Havn't experienced that. Now I am not sure.

I've used the thread delete when I did something stupid or some test like "Can I insert an image here"-type thing.

Undecided.