Problem with main Arduino website 8 Feb 2014

As you can see I can access the forum without any problem but last night and this morning I can't go to the main Arduino forum. For example when I try the link to products my browser says

Redirection Status

The URL was redirected to http://arduino.cc/en/Main/Products. Please click the link to go there.

It was working fine earlier yesterday as I was using the reference system.

As well as the above message my browser shows the URL for the products page as

http://arduino.cc/en/Main/Products?token=2CrulSkkg5YaWKM0ukpx

I don't know where the token part comes from and it seems to be different each time.

I will try deleting my Arduino cookies but as that will require me to log in again I thought I would write this first in case (as others seem to) I have a problem logging in.

If there is a general problem with the Arduino website maybe somebody will say.

...R

I have now deleted my cookies and logged out and logged in again but I still can access the main website.

For some reason it considered that I was still logged in after I deleted my cookies - how does that work?

I see that several people have viewed this page but have not commented. It would be very helpful if someone else could say whether the website is working OK or whether they also have a problem.

Thanks

...R

Its a really annoying bug with the website. I've had it happen a few times over the past few months. Eventually it fixes itself.

Currently its happening with my Chrome browser - was working yesterday.

I'm experiencing the same problem since today as well, I haven't experienced it before.
The Forum gives me no problems when logged in, but I need to log out to see the rest.

Error exists here too (Firefox 27.0).
Firefox reports a never ending redirection / running around in circles.
Removing the ?token and anything right from that, will result in some redirect so that this token reappears.
I'm assuming someone is trying to fix this problem (which has been popping up every once in a while) right now, creating this error but i have no way of knowing that for a fact.

I'm assuming someone is trying to fix this problem (which has been popping up every once in a while) right now, creating this error but i have no way of knowing that for a fact.

It's being discussed on the moderator forum, too, so it is getting visibility. Action might be a different story.

Thanks for the comments. Like @simpson_jr I have to log out to be able to access the reference stuff.

It seems to me this problem is just another symptom of some crazy desire to make the Arduino website as complicated as possible rather than as simple as possible.

It's very frustrating. All that unnecessary effort (a) creating the complexity and (b) fixing it later would be better spent on Arduino products and documentation.

...R

Yep, it makes it a bit harder to answer a forum-question and include link to the site :smiley:
But I'm managing by using firefox for the forum and explorer (without being logged in) to check the rest of the site.

It wouldn't surprise me if a lot of work is done by volunteers btw, I'm happy that they do and with a bit of luck they'll find the cause soon....

Simpson_Jr:
It wouldn't surprise me if a lot of work is done by volunteers btw, I'm happy that they do

I agree, completely. But that volunteer effort shouldn't be wasted solving problems that the same volunteers have wasted time creating. And without asking us users/customers whether we wanted them to make the website difficult to use.

...R

I'm getting the re-direct loop thing on the Reference page: I'm in the Forum though as you can see.

I am seeing the same - reported it thru the moderator's e-mail list. No response from arduino webmaster. Maybe they're busy watching the Olympics too.

I had the same problem a couple of days ago. Seems to have been cleared and I can now get onto the forum on both my desktop and laptop. Yay...

How about www.arduino.cc? That's the problem site.

CrossRoads:
How about www.arduino.cc? That's the problem site.

I get the redirect loop message there

At least with Firefox 26.0, I kept getting the redirect loop message until I selected Tools, Page Info, Security, and then Remove Cookie for arduino.cc. Now I can Log In and post a reply to this thread. I'll try accessing the other portions of the web site next and report back.

Once I've logged into the site, I can't select another top-level menu without hitting the redirect loop. To make this modification to my post I had to got into my cookies and remove "arduino_sso_authorized", exit Firefox, restart Firefox, click on the web site, select Forum under the Support top level menu, and open the thread I wanted to reply to BEFORE I logged in.

Looks like the Forum is now effectively read-only for those who don't want to do the funky chicken dance to use it. I guess I'll stick to read-only mode and avoid logging in until this gets fixed.

Robin2:
Thanks for the comments. Like @simpson_jr I have to log out to be able to access the reference stuff.

I have similar problem (reported over a year ago now) that logged onto forum if I open a tab in the main site then I get logged out. Really annoying when your half way through replying to someone and just checking something on the reference pages get you logged out and reply deleted.

Riva:
I have similar problem (reported over a year ago now) that logged onto forum if I open a tab in the main site then I get logged out. Really annoying when your half way through replying to someone and just checking something on the reference pages get you logged out and reply deleted.

@Riva, I think your problem is different.

I have never been logged out when I didn't want to be. All that happens to me is that if I am logged in I can't access the pages of the main Arduino website. Trying to access them has no affect on my continued use of the Forum.

...R

I have been trying to find out stuff about the Yun and the Arduino website seems to be working properly for me today.

Has somebody fixed something? If so why don't they tell us?

...R

It appears the problem has been corrected. Looking at the cookies that the arduino.cc family of web pages stores on my machine (Firefox 27.0, Win7Pro x64), I see some changes that appear to be related to the SSO (Single Sign On). SSO is all the rage on families of related web sites (e.g. your bank, their brokerage group, their insurance group, their mortgage arm) and Arduino seems to have got the bug and bungled the implementation.

jmmilner:
SSO is all the rage on families of related web sites (e.g. your bank, their brokerage group, their insurance group, their mortgage arm) and Arduino seems to have got the bug and bungled the implementation.

Hmmm. That may explain the perverse behaviour I notice, using up to five different computers to follow these boards depending on where I happen to be (such as lying in bed or at least two different "work" locations).

Why they would ever want to implement such a thing, beggars the imagination (though someone may interject that it relates to the "shopping trolley" which is the absolute least important thing here!).

"Bungled the implementation" does however summarise it perfectly.