Chip samples...

I simply used my college email to order samples and used them as my "business or organization." Which wasn't even lying... I can't help if they assumed I was buying on behalf of the school.

GREAT IDEA.... I Love it.. Seriously one of the best success stories I've heard yet about successfully getting samples. When I worked for a living samples were no problem.
I lost a 50 Lb, 25 KG box of samples when my wife died, I was stocking up for my retirement... AS Many and as much as I could, frequently I told sales rep's my exact purpose and they helped even more...

Bob

cyclegadget:
Look for a thread called "your latest sample" in bar sport.

Here is one helpful link: Getting samples

My absolute most favorite thread because I posted it. :slight_smile: http://arduino.cc/forum/index.php/topic,119701.0.html

The Adafruit guide is a lot of help and I can say it is correct. I've even made additions. I added this manufacturer, no one had caught on that they do samples until I put it up last week:

Renesas

Self-described "largest" manufacturer of MCUs in the world allows small qty sampling of their MCUs - right on the top page. Just ordered a R5F562N8BDFP. Apparently they only allow Qty 1 of 1 part, but with free overnight shipping the gross inefficiency of this setup is on them and not you. They just got back to me. My order of one hour ago has already shipped, UPS 1 day with a tracking number. Can't argue with free, fast, and professional, even if it is for one $9 part.

Still not sure what I am going to do with that part. The Atmel and Microchip stuff I have a plan. The 200MSPS ADC from TI (ADS58B18) I have half a plan.

Last samples from Atmel I received 2 ATMEGA2560-16AU and 2 ATXMEGA128A1-AU. The 2560s I know how to get to work at least.

lol, just got shipping conformation from Atmel for 3x 1284s, 3x 644p, and 3x 328s. Went through LadyAda's sample page and clicked on every site for samples. Waiting on the other sites to reply with shipping or not...

codlink:
lol, just got shipping conformation from Atmel for 3x 1284s, 3x 644p, and 3x 328s. Went through LadyAda's sample page and clicked on every site for samples. Waiting on the other sites to reply with shipping or not...

I want to know what you ordered from TI, Analog, and Linear. They have the coolest stuff (converters - ADCs and DACs).

I got some TLC5951's from TI as free samples - I can't find anywhere in the UK that stocks them or which doesn't cost £20 in postage. I also in the past got 3 DRV8824PWP's which are sold at £10 a shot so saved me quite a bit.

JoeN:

codlink:

I want to know what you ordered from TI, Analog, and Linear. They have the coolest stuff (converters - ADCs and DACs).

I forget what I ordered and now it won't let me log in. so idk.

But I just got 2 more shipping conformations.

Ordered around 6 different connectors (with more than 1 per) from Tyco and they ship by FEDEX 3 day.
Order some Multiplexers and shift registers from Fairchild. They ship UPS 2nd day air.

Should be getting most of these by the end of the week. They were mostly easy, just have to act like a company with real goals. Also write like you have some intelligence.

Just tried with ST Microelectronics (http://www.st.com/) and their website sucks. Keeps giving me internal server errors.

codlink:
Just tried with ST Microelectronics (http://www.st.com/) and their website sucks. Keeps giving me internal server errors.

I had some trouble with them too. I think I had to ditch IE and use Firefox with their webapp. Also, the last time I ordered something there it disallowed parts that it allowed me to add to the order right at the end (old Dallas battery backed SRAM modules, e.g. http://www.digikey.com/product-search/en?lang=en&site=us&KeyWords=M48Z08). But they did send the MEMS mics and MEMS 3-axis accelerometer/magnetometers with no issues. I am going to try for the NVRAMs next time...

ST has a great parametric search app. I wouldn't say it sucks, but it is incompatible with some browsers so they need to work on it. It's slick as heck when it works.

I used Opera (Latest Stable Build), Firefox (latest), and IE....

I spent about an hour trying different things, along with different items. Still the same thing.. Was trying to look for a webmaster address, but they don't have any contacts like that. It's their loss if someone was actually trying to purchase legitimately.

codlink:
I used Opera (Latest Stable Build), Firefox (latest), and IE....

I spent about an hour trying different things, along with different items. Still the same thing.. Was trying to look for a webmaster address, but they don't have any contacts like that. It's their loss if someone was actually trying to purchase legitimately.

Well, check back in a week. I am sure they are working on it if it is even still a problem. I will be checking back in 2 weeks to try for those NVRAMs again. I want to give at least 30 days between sample orders.

Last night I ordered some EEPROM from http://am.renesas.com/

I would have liked to get a UC chip but, I don't know if I could put them to use.

I will post if I get the shipment.

Just got shipping notification from TI. Shipped by FEDEX

MSP430F5131 Mixed Signal Microcontroller
2 of 2 part(s) Shipped 17 Oct 2012

MSP430G2553 Mixed Signal Microcontroller
2 of 2 part(s) Shipped 17 Oct 2012

UA7805 - 3 Pin 1.5A Fixed 5V Positive Voltage Regulator
3 of 3 part(s) Shipped 17 Oct 2012

TLC5941 - 16 Channel LED Driver with Dot Correction

TLC5916 - 8-Bit Constant-Current LED Sink Driver

cyclegadget:
Last night I ordered some EEPROM from http://am.renesas.com/

I would have liked to get a UC chip but, I don't know if I could put them to use.

I will post if I get the shipment.

I got an MCU from them, they limit you to quantity one of one part when I was on there. Was it the same for you, only one EEPROM?

I got an MCU from them, they limit you to quantity one of one part when I was on there. Was it the same for you, only one EEPROM?

I tried to order 1 piece of SVRAM and only 1 piece of EEPROM but, my cart only shown 3 pieces of EEPROM. It seemed like that was the way it had to be. The shipping notice shows the EEPROM is being sent.

I got my EEprom From Renesas today! That was quick!

3 piece HN58X25256FPI#SO

IC EEPROM 256K 5MHZ 8SOP

Now I need a way to solder it down!

Two days after requesting them I received the following from Atmel:

ATMEGA1284P-PU MCU AVR 128K ISP FLASH 40-PDIP 3
ATMEGA2560-16AU IC AVR MCU 256K 16MHZ 100TQFP 3
ATMEGA328P-PN MCU AVR 32K FLASH 20MHZ 28PDIP 3

OK, I tried getting some samples this week and I scored the following:

Maxim:
2x MAX7219
2x MAX6977

Atmel:
2x ATtiny84
3x ATtiny85

TI:
2x TLC5940
2x TLC5916
3x TPD2E009DBZR (needed to hack my DSO Quad)

The Maxim7219 came in a pretty little presentation box. The MAX6977s came in a tube marked "MAXIM engineering samples". All the rest came in generic chopped-off tubes, all from the same place, all in identical boxes. Probably some distributor or other.

If any manufacturers are reading this:
Free samples are a good service, especially to students/hobbyists who don't have accounts with Farnell/RS/etc. and will be killed by shipping costs if they try to order single chips from them. All the chips above found a good home and will be used, not hoarded (apart from the MAX7219s, because I like the box...good advertising strategy!) PS: It would be nice to have an option for USPS shipping instead of Fedex. I wouldn't have minded at all.

fungus:
The Maxim7219 came in a pretty little presentation box. The MAX6977s came in a tube marked "MAXIM engineering samples". All the rest came in generic chopped-off tubes, all from the same place, all in identical boxes. Probably some distributor or other.

Mine came like that too. If I am not mistaken, they come from Digi-Key.

codlink:

fungus:
...came in generic chopped-off tubes, all from the same place, all in identical boxes. Probably some distributor or other.

Mine came like that too. If I am not mistaken, they come from Digi-Key.

Looks like it. The address on the paperwork is "701 Brooks Ave., Thief River Falls", that's Digi-Key's address.

Just got a shipment from Analog Devices. Didn't even send me a notification. Of course it's from Thief River Falls..

AD8180ANZ

ADUC7027BSTZ62

ADG527AKNZ