Solved: Cant find Windows 7 drivers for ATmega16u2

I am starting our first Mega2560 board. Windows 7 tries to load drivers from Microsoft update but does not find anything, it wont find those from C:\Program Files\arduino-1.0.1\drivers either. What is wrong?

This particular piece of crap has Windows 7 starter edition in it, could that cause problems?

LMI_at_work:
I am starting our first Mega2560 board. Windows 7 tries to load drivers from Microsoft update but does not find anything, it wont find those from C:\Program Files\arduino-1.0.1\drivers either. What is wrong?

This particular piece of crap has Windows 7 starter edition in it, could that cause problems?

The drivers are in C:\Program Files\arduino-1.0.1\drivers.
Stop looking for the 16U2 !
Just select the Arduino MEGA 2560 REV3.inf or Arduino MEGA 2560.inf
This is the driver you need..
From the .inf:
DESCRIPTION="Arduino Mega 2560 R3"
SERVICE="USB RS-232 Emulation Driver"

Hi

I believe you. But Windows 7 starter and Vista do any find any suitable drivers there. I'll try with an machine XP at home, it usually works. By the way, device manage says it is a Mega16U2. Should there be some Arduino specific bootloader in that USB cpu chip too?

LMI_at_work:
Hi

I believe you. But Windows 7 starter and Vista do any find any suitable drivers there. I'll try with an machine XP at home, it usually works. By the way, device manage says it is a Mega16U2. Should there be some Arduino specific bootloader in that USB cpu chip too?

I have Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 X64.
In my device manager it says under ports: Atmega 2560 (com7) :slight_smile:
You could try and delete the device and start over again, but I doubt it would work.
Have a look at this : http://arduino.cc/forum/index.php/topic,118440.0.html It's an enhanced installing system which also install all the drivers you might need (want).
Works really well.

Hope this helps.

Thanks. I downloaded that enhanced IDE, I'll check it.

I wonder if it matters that my ATmega16u2 chip is not from Arduino, it is bought from Farnell.

LMI:
Thanks. I downloaded that enhanced IDE, I'll check it.

I wonder if it matters that my ATmega16u2 chip is not from Arduino, it is bought from Farnell.

It does if you didn't put the dfu bootloader in it...

You are not saying that they are empty when bought, and not programmed as USB interface as I thought, are you. Where can I find that software, then?

Arduino-COMBINED-dfu-usbserial-atmega16u2-Mega2560-Rev3.hex is in C:\Program Files\arduino-1.0.1\hardware\arduino\firmwares.
In the readme there's some info on how to burn this onto a 16u2.

This is probably solved now, thank you. Tomorrow I'll burn that in the chip and then I'll know.

I marked this as Solved. PC shows the board correctly and there is now a serial port. I had to use AVR studio to burn the files.

Uploading skethes to the board does not work, but I'll open a new thread for that problem.