Go Down

Topic: EEPROM library and wear reduction (Read 603 times) previous topic - next topic

UKHeliBob

From reply #7
A split write can  program selected bits to logic zero
It was that phrase that prompted my question, not the way in which update() works, which I know is different.  If a split write counts as a write (why wouldn't it ?) then the memory address would be subject to the same 100,000 write limit as writing a whole byte.
Please do not send me PMs asking for help.  Post in the forum then everyone will benefit from seeing the questions and answers.

J-M-L

Mar 05, 2018, 11:05 pm Last Edit: Mar 05, 2018, 11:07 pm by J-M-L
Charging a bit or discharging means applying  a high voltage  from the charge pump - either positively or negatively

If you play with one byte, this energy from the charge pump is concentrated on that one byte which accelerated the wear. If a page write is used, that energy is dissipated over more bytes, so cell wear is decreased.

So Setting  bits to zero does create a wear but if you save setting to 1 beforehand then you have somewhat protected you're cell - that is moving from 1100.1100 to 1100.0000 could be technically done without setting all the bits to 1 in the first place... but probably the negative voltage would still be applied to bring the zero to zero as split write still assumes the erase was done sometimes before hand
Please do not PM me for help,  others will benefit as well if you post your question publicly on the forums
Pas de messages priv├ęs SVP

Go Up