Tilt only sensor for telescope.

Been offline a bit.

Thanks for info to try and fix the scope, Lefty. As I said before, no cure in hot glue. The mirror on Maks is adjusted up and down to focus. The play comes from that adjusting bit. It seems even high end Maks suffer from it. A common cure is to fix the mirror in place and use a Crayford external focuser.

Accellerometers is too expensive for me (even the cheap ones I can find locally) and overkill.

The "bearing in a can" tilt sensor is is not quite what I want, although a couple of them could do the trick. At a guess I would need to adjust the focus for every 15 deg or so of tilt. I have no hope to get it perfectly accurate in any case. What I thought of is the kind of tilt sensor thingy you get in digital level meters. I used them over the years to check downtilt on GSM antennas. But I discovered it uses the expensive X-Y accellerometers...

Willnue's idea is great, and I did not explore that one, simply because I can't find any ball mouse anywhere, so I chucked out the idea of a mouse. I simply never considered the wheel have the same principle.

The output shaft of the telescope mount have notches I can use with a switch or sensor, but I have no idea how such a sensor will be able to tell which direction the shaft is turning.