Udpsend -> WIFI -> Arduino LOW COST

Hi All,

We want to send data, using WIFI and UDP protocol from max to arduino.
At the moment we are able to send data from max using udpsend and udpreceive properly.

We don't want to use the Arduino Wi-Fi Shield:

Because they are so expensive!!! and we need a lot of that.

For exemple we thought that we could use a USB WIFI adapter like this:

the Question is can arduino be programmed for receiving data directly from the USB WIFI adaptor?

If anyone have some guess...
There would be a great help

Thanks

Onde

I looked at the Linux driver sources for one brand of USB WiFi dongle and they look like they would be nearly impossible to port to Arduino.

The sources rely on a LOT of Linux infrastructure:

#include <linux/module.h>
#include <linux/usb.h>
#include <linux/netdevice.h>
#include <linux/etherdevice.h>
#include <linux/wireless.h>
#include <net/iw_handler.h>
#include <linux/string.h>
#include <linux/if_arp.h>
#include <linux/firmware.h>
#include <ieee802_11.h>
#include "zd1201.h"

Thank for the replie.

We don't need Hi rate of transmission, but we need to communicate with many different systems.
We starting to investigate in RF field with something like this one https://www.sparkfun.com/products/10534

What do you think about it?

Thanks
Onde

onde:
We starting to investigate in RF field with something like this one https://www.sparkfun.com/products/10534

What do you think about it?

That might work if you only need one-way communications and 4800 bps is fast enough. You will probably need something like an Arduino to translate from MAX to a wireless protocol (like VirtualWire). You will need the matching RF Link receiver on each receiving Arduino. If you are in the USA you should use the 315 MHz units instead of 434 MHz.

If it does not have to be standalone, you can use a computer and transfer commands via serial usb. I am working on it right now but am having trouble communication from computer to arduino but not the other way around.

You need one

Amazon

Cost:$27.99
free shipping

Linux Info

It is case, power supply, wifi shield, 1gb ethernet shield.

There are bluetooth wifi modules that have all the protocols and packet handling built in for less than $10 on eBay and similar shop. Buy enough, the price gets down towards $5 ea.

If you want real cheap wireless, it takes 2 pins, 1 led and 1 resistor.
http://www.merl.com/papers/docs/TR2003-35.pdf

It's not the fastest but it is wireless and cheap.

There are bluetooth wifi modules that have all the protocols and packet handling built in for less than $10 on eBay and similar shop. Buy enough, the price gets down towards $5 ea.

Now we are falling a trap "which came first, the chicken or the egg?" to make it happen, We need Arduino LOW COST bluetooth, do we?

If you want real cheap wireless, it takes 2 pins, 1 led and 1 resistor.
http://www.merl.com/papers/docs/TR2003-35.pdf

I simply love it, if speed and distance is not issue, It is the way to go.

extend GoForSmoke's idea;-

Using fiber optics couplers/cable connect between led and photo sensor. if by using correct wavelength and mode (Single/multiple). The distance will be extend to miles. Arduino cost effective (Nuclear power plant grade/self grade no official) far distance fiber network.

If you're going to the expense of laying cable, you might as well add a few parts at each end and kick the baud rate up an order of magnitude or more.

led makes a very slow light sensor compared to a phototransistor.

Instead of laying cable, use lasers and light detectors. I have 5mW red lasers supposed to be good to 1000m. That is see the dot that far away by eye, you see the reflection. To a detector, 2km line of sight and well above eyes should be detectable, even brighter than the reflected dot.

Expect that every so often a bird or bug will break the beam.

When I first learned Fortran in 75, the computer was across town in an IR laser link.

GoForSmoke make me recall 10+ years ago, I am in Philip Morris HQ building NYC. The building is freelysmoke/GoForSmoke building. The only No Smoking sign is at elevator which is federal regulation. You could put "GoForSmoke" sign anywhere your house but please remove it from house elevator. :stuck_out_tongue:

When I first learned Fortran in 75

I miss the Fortran, but code at Basic almost at same time.

sonnyyu:
GoForSmoke make me recall 10+ years ago, I am in Philip Morris HQ building NYC. The building is freelysmoke/GoForSmoke building. The only No Smoking sign is at elevator which is federal regulation. You could put "GoForSmoke" sign anywhere your house but please remove it from house elevator. :stuck_out_tongue:

When I first learned Fortran in 75

I miss the Fortran, but code at Basic almost at same time.

Learn C before C++. Quit suffering with BASIC in any form. The language is lame. It only looks good compared to dinosaurs like COBOL and RPG. If you want true freedom, learn FORTH.

C has the basics you need first: variables, functions, arrays, pointers, ASCII text arrays, structs and unions.
After you're solid on that, go through a C++ tutorial and be sure to get classes down really well. If you learned FORTH, note how <BUILDS...DOES> allows everything that C++ Classes do but with less syntax & procedure.

You could go to the Processing site and get Processing. It's the PC side of Arduino. It can do graphics and mouse. It can access Serial, UDP, internet. It can communicate with Arduino as Serial on both sides. But there's a bit of a look-out. Processing is built on Java and Arduino is built on C++. They look so much alike it's going to be easy to use a command that works for one in code for the other and run into problems.

You can get CodeBlocks for free and it does C++. I've even read there's a special CodeBlocks-Arduino out.

I only wrote as much BASIC as I did because of people who insisted the code be in BASIC or they wouldn't pay for it. What's your excuse? XD :grin: :blush:

I only wrote as much BASIC as I did because of people who insisted the code be in BASIC or they wouldn't pay for it. What's your excuse?

The reason is that is only one I could get access/steal;-

sharp el-5400

Chipset/CPU 4-bit CMOS
Memory
Programming 2 kB
Data 1254 bytes
Secondary 0
ROM 18 kB

smaller than atmel AVR!

My mom has one of those for work (the only computer in entire college, in China). I steal it when she is not around. One day she found out instead of beat me up, she give me some her work to programming. I guess I did good job and the school bought printer for it.

after spoken with my mom( I ask her why I did so much work but never get paid), the model is incorrect, It should be PC-1210 and printer is CE-122. She do not pay me for the job, however I could feel free take both with me since school give both to her as reward.

LOL, what do you use to run the Arduino IDE or even just the compiler and linker and programmer?

What do you use to post here?

Answer is not that over-powered pocket calculator.

Surely you have something much more modern? A PC with keyboard and screen and mouse?
How else do you program Arduino? What do you have for that?