Go Down

Topic: Distinguishing Web Clients (especially fom behind a NAT router) (Read 203 times) previous topic - next topic

bill2009

I run a web/telnet server using a W5500 wiznet shield and host simple games - I'd also like to host a simple BBS or messaging system.

I currently keep track of clients by their IP address but I'm afraid that choice will fail me if they are coming from inside a facility like a library or starbucks.  I assume everyone coming from that facility would show up with the same IP address.

I think the W5500 will give me the MAC so i could try using that or is this just a bogus way of tracking clients and i should make them sign in and set a cookie?

The server is running on a 1970's era RCA 1802 micro but it's programmed in C and has SPI so most arduino-type thinking is applicable.  Any thoughts are welcome.

You can see my(awful) code here

bill2009

so for starters it looks like the MAC address idea is no good.  I tried from the library and all the clients showed the same MAC starting with BC.4D.FB.A7 - i assume it's associated with the gateway.

pylon

I think the W5500 will give me the MAC so i could try using that or is this just a bogus way of tracking clients and i should make them sign in and set a cookie?
The MAC the W5500 will see is the MAC of the internet gateway device (usually a router) if you're handling external clients.
You don't need them to sign in to set a cookie, you can just do that.

bill2009

The MAC the W5500 will see is the MAC of the internet gateway device (usually a router) if you're handling external clients.
You don't need them to sign in to set a cookie, you can just do that.

Thanks - I'm cooky-ing up now.

Go Up