New Arduino code site GitHub attaching files

I just noticed that the arduino code site has moved to GitHub. On the Google site, there was an option to attach files as I recall. There seems to be no way to do this on the new site. Can someone enlighten me on that?

I have made a couple changes to the ethernet library code I want to submit, and it would be simpler to attach the affected files (4 of them, all small).

The way this is done on GitHub is to fork the code base in question (which makes a copy to your github account), modify your fork, and then prepare a "pull request" which you send to the Arduino developers. The pull request is essentially an issue report with a patch that contains only the changes you made, so it's easy for the developers to review and apply.

It's simpler than it sounds, and mostly automated. More here: About pull requests - GitHub Docs

-br

Thanks, Bill. It does not appear to be simpler than it sounds.

Fork, clone, configure remotes, push commits...???
That is simpler than "attach file"?

It is a process. The good news is that it makes it much easier for the developers to accept a patch, which you can see them doing regularly if you follow the issues tracker.

The issue tracker does accept file attachments, so you could give that a try, but I would not be too surprised if they ask for a pull request.

Issue tracker here: Issues · arduino/Arduino · GitHub

Best regards,

-br

Thanks again. I do not want to make a career out of posting this one addition/enhancement. If I were an Arduino/Atmel developer, it would be worth my while, but I have other stuff to do, like make money! :slight_smile:

I guess the code site is for bugs only now, according to the readme.txt. For "suggestions" like mine, I can post it here on the forum.