Learning about Arduino & Electronics

About a year ago, I learned about Arduino by following examples on-line and reading websites. Most of my learning was from reading and creating examples in the book, "Building Wireless Sensor Networks" and www.ladyada.net. From my work background, I already new how to program and the Arduino seems interface seems easy.

From doing all this, I don't think that I could create anything with Arudino without being provided an example. The software programming I could handle.

So recently, I read some books on Electronics. I really liked: Getting Starting In Electronics by Mims and Practical Electronics for Inventors. I know about electronic components like different types of transistors, diodes etc. Also, I tried to use an electronic learning kit.

However, I still can't design any type of electronic projects. I don't know exactly when to put a resistor, what resistance level, when/where/type of diode do I use. For my situation, I wanted to ask how can I learn about designing electronics? I much prefer hands on type books, programs or kits. I think many people are in my situation. I would very much appreciate someone's assistance with this as it could help others too.

Any electronics books, sites will be fine...

How about you give us a starting point, transistors, triacs, latching circuits, scrs, fets list goes on so what are you interested in...

After everything , I don't think I could design any new circuits without an example. Perhaps, I could design an led with a switch, but even for that I would have to look up an example for the resistor value and type of LED.

A starting place would be for me to learn about using mosfets with an Arduino. What I think I would find would be examples of this and not why it was designed as it was.. I want to learn how to design them...

Ok..

Start with Ohms law, this will teach you how to control current and voltage. Then you'll understand how transistor gain works or move straight onto fets.

But ohms law is critical to designing any circuit.

thanks for your time. Ohm's law is important- I agree. Not sure how to apply it for various design question. Are there any great books or programs on this you would recommend? Thanks again!

http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/electric/ohmlaw.html

If you want to learn electronics and how everything works together, go by a small toy (anything) and take it apart. You know what most componets are, and I'm sure you know how to read a schematic, right? If you do, then you should study the toy's circuit board, write down a schematic of what you see (part numbers, resistor bands, everything). Once you are comfortable with your schematic, take apart the circuit board part by part, and try to put it back together without the actual circuit board. The only way to learn how something works is by taking it apart.

If you lack soldering skills, then you can simply buy a radio shack learners kit (if you haven't already) and make everything in the circuit books. Once you get something to work, try swapping parts and see what happens when you do.

I really liked Make:Electronics by Charles Platt (http://www.amazon.com/Make-Electronics-Discovery-Charles-Platt/dp/0596153740)

It's hand-on and assumes you know nothing about electronics. It's certainly a decent starting point. Maybe you can find it at the library?

cjdelphi:
http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/electric/ohmlaw.html

This website is exactly what I am looking for. I just need more of this. Any suggestions on books that cover this material and other things like Kirkoff's law like this? Thanks Cjdelphi!

Regarding the Make Electronics book recommended. I reviewed it on amazon. I appreciate it. It seems that this book still has a lot of examples of things to create, but not how to design them by oneself.

yes, I know how to solder and can read schematics. I can create simple circuits from the schematics. Taking apart things, takes a lot of time. There must be a good book/program that covers these things. Kind of a step 2 of electronics after you know the components and can build simple things from examples. thx for your time.