Ann: Intro to Arduino programming course...

At....

... I've tried to present some sequenced lessons to help novices get started with the software side of playing with Arduinos. It was written in hopes that a talented 11 year old would be able to work through them. It might also prove useful to students on a formal course, as an alternative "view" of the basics.

Hope you like it, and will recommend to others by other channels.

Please introduce this site to any intelligent, self-disciplined 12 year olds you may know.

One issue I can think of is that it's very dull. Many 12 year olds I know will look at it, decide there's no pictures and go watch some funny youtube videos instead.

Content looks quite good but it is also very 'solid'.

I can see the tutorials are good solid stuff. I will be able to use them in intro college level classes (although our college kids are rapidly losing their abilities to read past 127 characters at a time).
For 11 year old kits, maybe a different approach with more pictures and videos can be used. I remember when i was 11, I was able to program but not much. Maybe an approach like, hey this is how you blink an led, that is how to do two leds. Then here is how you do ...

my 25 year old self would apreceate some pictures as well :slight_smile:

same goes for the flat earth society website. I am a really fast reader and definitvly am up to more than the 127 characters mentioned above, however you need to do some formating. I have a big screen and reading a paragraph which is one single, long, long line is really tiring. also the structure of the page is not clear. As far as I can tell, the content is good, but the white background and the lack of any formatting are a real turn off.

but I like the initiative. get help from some web-designer? or learn and use some basic html and css?

Tom, Thanks for your hard work on this; you have lots of very good information, hints etc.

I have been battling the issue of accessibility of this type of material, especially for Newbies, for a long time.

Take a look at http://yourduino.com which is my latest effort, still very incomplete compared to what I have in mind. Maybe we can collaborate somehow on this.

At the very least I will read all your material and try to get more good ideas out there...

Email if you'd like to talk this over more.

[quote author=Terry King link=topic=53827.msg392375#msg392375 date=1299683778]
Take a look at http://yourduino.com which is my latest effort, still very incomplete compared to what I have in mind. Maybe we can collaborate somehow on this.[/quote]
Oh, it's a number of years since I saw a website that was an image :o

How about making it a bit lower bandwidth?

Sorry to bump . .

I don't know if the OP is still around, however this thread came up very high when I searched for 'Arduino Course', and he has an excellent opportunity to capitalize on that.

While there may be some very good content on his tutorial pages, it's barely legible due to the lack of images, poor formatting and far too much verbiage. Here's some recommendations:

• Learn CSS - really
  • Add images (videos would rock it)
  • Read up on web usability (i.e. Don't Make Me Think by Steve Krug)
  • Use a CMS, such as Wordpress - these static pages appear to pre-date Geocities

Hi, It's a LOT of work to author good material..

Different people are more comfortable with Text, or some combination.

If you're starting Arduino with either Breadboards and components, or Electronic Bricks, you might try:
http://arduino-info.wikispaces.com/StarterSetMenu

Any suggestions/critiques welcome...

terryking228:
If you're starting Arduino with either Breadboards and components, or Electronic Bricks, you might try:
http://arduino-info.wikispaces.com/StarterSetMenu

I must say, looking at your site, I wish I had purchased my starter kit from YourDunio, since you have fairly complete tutorials for the kits. The starter kit I purchased, just essentially had the parts all thrown in a box, and sent out.

Many 12 year olds I know will look at it, decide there's no pictures and go watch some funny youtube videos instead.

last year (i am now just 13), when i had just learned about arduino, i would have found it interesting even w/o pictures (though they would help, for visualizing things).