How do i make a hallogenspot respond to arduino?

Hi

i have a urgend problem getting a hallogenspot respond to the arduinoboard. I have made a simpel program that goes of an on every sec.
offcause this work with an LED, but how do i make a bigger spot react towards it.

I have tried to build a cirquit with a the arduinooard on one side of a IRL540 mosfet, and the halogenspot and a transformator on the other side, i cant make it work. The halogenspot is a 12V 50W spot.

Hope somebody can help me i am despered!

Thanks Jo

Greetings Johanne,

The basic principle is the same as any high-voltage high-current load. A good example is available in the hardware interfacing to high power electrical loads. Please see Arduino Playground - HomePage

Regards,
David

I wonder if those LED spotlights would need much to work with the arduino.

Greetings meh722,

Most of them require pretty high currents, so the principle is the same.

Regards,
David

I have tried to build a cirquit with a the arduinooard on one side of a IRL540 mosfet, and the halogenspot and a transformator on the other side, i cant make it work. The halogenspot is a 12V 50W spot.

Jo,

You mention the transformer - is this an AC circuit?

If is is an AC circuit, the interfacing requirments may be different.

Can you sketch you circuit for us to see.

Regards,

Mike

AFAIK, even the low voltage halogen's that run on a transformer rated at 12 or 24v are still AC and as such can not be switched by a mosfet (these do DC only). You would need something like the all-mighty radioshack reed relay or even better a solid state relay and then you could choose to switch either the low(er) voltage power coming out of the halogen's xformer or to switch the 120v xformer itself.

Cheers,
Brian

You would need something like the all-mighty radioshack reed relay or even better a solid state relay and then you could choose to switch either the low(er) voltage power coming out of the halogen's xformer or to switch the 120v xformer itself.

Just remember there's a difference between AC and DC relays.