Getting People to Wash Their Hands More!

For our school project, we want to get people to wash their hands more after having used the bathroom.
We are attempting to use break beam sensors and a polaroid electrostatic transducer to detect the movement
of the user. When someone does not wash their hands, a sound would be triggered to humiliate them and make
an awkward situation.

Our setup: Arduino Uno, light sensor, speakers, polaroid electrostatic transducer, bicycle reflector, laser pointers.

Our strategy: Setting 2 laser pointers separating the sinks(to detect 1way direction) and toilets and the proximity sensor around the sink.
Once someone comes out of the toilet, the break beams would first be triggered, then the proximity sensor would if he/she
uses the sink. But, if only the break beams are triggered and not the proximity, the sound would be actuated.

We are new to Arduino and don't know how to set up the specificities, especially the code. If anyone can help us out or provide a better way to go about this, we would greatly appreciate it. Thanks!

Interesting project.
Not to dampen your enthusiasm, but personally If I found all of that in my bathroom at work I would find it kind of creepy. I would also wonder if someone was also taking pictures...

One way to make sound is with the Adafruit Wave Shield. Adafruit Wave Shield for Arduino Kit [v1.1] : ID 94 : $22.00 : Adafruit Industries, Unique & fun DIY electronics and kits

why not only open the door if they have used the faucet for 15 seconds... (sort of waterlocking:)

Pauly:
Interesting project.
Not to dampen your enthusiasm, but personally If I found all of that in my bathroom at work I would find it kind of creepy. I would also wonder if someone was also taking pictures...

One way to make sound is with the Adafruit Wave Shield. Adafruit Wave Shield for Arduino Kit [v1.1] : ID 94 : $22.00 : Adafruit Industries, Unique & fun DIY electronics and kits

We didn't even think about the creepiness aspect. We just wanted to make an awkward humorous situation.
The sound would be like a crowd going "awwww...." but I guess someone could think they were being photographed. Maybe making the
sensors somewhat visible? Thanks for the input.

robtillaart:
why not only open the door if they have used the faucet for 15 seconds... (sort of waterlocking:)

Oh I didn't make it clear it was a public bathroom. So we have to take in account of people coming
in and out. Also, some people will only come in to look at the mirror. Thanks

When someone does not wash their hands, a sound would be triggered to humiliate them and make an awkward situation.

Try something stupid like this in a public restroom and you may be arrested and possibly sued for all you/your parents own.