Just starting with Arduino/Lilypad USB

To make sure that I am understanding this correctly, even though it uses USB to interface with the computer, a FTDI is still need in order to get the board and computer to talk? I currently only have the USB connected as I did not understand if I needed a FTDI component as well.

Also, to use the 9-degrees of freedom - MPU-9150 breakout board, a haptic driver, and possibly bluetooth chips, will the Lilypad be able to handle all of it? It doesn't seem to have enough connectors to power all of these, plus the haptic actuators and LEDs I want to use for my project.

Any feedback is much appreciated.

Brandon

The FTDI is the USB to Serial adapter that allows the '328P on the lilypad to interface with the PC.

Only this one has USB capability built into the microprocessor

so it's basically a Leonardo or Micro in a different form factor.

What interfaces do all the rest of your components need?

That's the one I have and I'm not getting the basic blink to work. So I just wanted to make sure I didn't need anything else to get it working. If I can get that working, then I'm sure I'll figure the rest out as I move along.

I'm using the Precision Micro Devices LRA actuator, DRV-2603(Haptic Driver with Auto Resonance Tracking for LRA and Optimized Drive for ERM), CC2564( Bluetooth Controller), the CC2541( 2.4-GHz Bluetooth® low energy and Proprietary System-on-Chip), and the MSP430F530x Mixed Signal Microcontroller.

I'm not sure on the interface as I was talking to someone who has used Arduino before and he said I had everything I needed to start messing around with it. I'm afraid the Lilypad may be too small for the project I have in mind. Thoughts?

Brandon

I think you'll find just 9 IO pins will be a limiting factor quite soon, especially with only I2C broken out - no SPI, no Serial.

Would the Arduino Uno be a better board to work with? I think that would allow me to use the breadboards if I needed to expand.
Also, the Lilypad is mostly just for prototyping, so maybe I can use just certain features, remove and add what I need, and see if they all work? Once I see that the programming is spot on, move to a bigger board, reorder the pins, and get the same results? Working on a budget, so it'll be slow going.
I probably won't use the Bluetooth chips. I can get by with a 1 LED to begin with. I do think I'll need the DRV2603 to work the LRA actuators.

I think Uno would be a better choice.

Or a Promini and your USB adapter.

Thanks a lot for your help CrossRoads. I'll look into getting the Uno ASAP as I really want to start working on this. I'll just use the Lilypad for learning and see what disasters I can cause with that.
I'll leave this open for a day or two longer in case anyone else wants to provide input before I add [Solved] to the subject.

Brandon

In the mean time, is there a fix for the Lilypad not blinking green? It's recognized by the computer and in the IDE, but when I load it all and upload, it just blinks red. Is there a standard Programmer selection I should use?
In the attachments, you can see what settings I have. After I hit 'Upload' it says it's finished, but I'm still getting a red light. Any ideas?

lilysetup2.png

1 & 2 are good, 3 is not used unless you are connecting a programmer.
I've never used a 32U4 based board, I don't know if you need to install a driver for it.

The guy who is helping me along said this, after we realized our mistake:

"But yeah - any software you write for any arduino will work on any other one. The only thing you may have to do is change the pin numbers.
You can definitely get the functionality working for individual components, and then upgrade to a custom PCB when you integrate all of them. For example... just get one haptic feedback motor, one flex resistor, and the 3d sensing stuff. And then for the custom PCB you can toss in all 4/5 sets of motors/flex/whatever."

So I think this would be a good way to go about it while I await to find out how everything is to laid out. I want to cut down on bulk and overall size, so this may help.

Ok, let me know when you're ready for a custom board, I design those for folks all the time.
http://www.crossroadsfencing.com/BobuinoRev17/

Thanks a lot CrossRoads. I'll definitely keep you in mind. I have no idea how to do it, so this is helps.

Is there a link on Arduino that talks about integrating the 9 Dregees of Freedom or Haptic Drivers into the boards? I googled for a more general answer, but I can't seem to find it.

Try www.sparkfun.com as they carry 9 DOF chips/breakout boards.
I don't about Haptic drivers.

I've been scanning the internet, Arduino, and every place possible (not really) and I still can't find a lib or an explanation of how to get the 9DOF on Lilypad USB. For the moment, I just want everything to get recognized by the board so I can start writing the code.
Also, does anyone know where I can view motion control/tracking code or how to get a handle on it? I have the code in my head, but I want to make sure I'm not reinventing the wheel.
Anything on IR rx/tx would be helpful as well using the Lilypad USB board.

Brandon

Ok, so I'm thinking you're not trying very hard.
The sparkfun page on the 9DOF shows this schematic

so it is clear it is talking over I2C, which is A4/A5 on the Arduino.
There's also example code there.

I was looking at something that said it had taken out support for the Lilypad USB. I think that is what threw me off. GitHub - sparkfun/SF32u4_boards: Support files for SparkFun's 32u4-based Arduino-compatible development boards.
That was the problem. I had that stuck in my head and associated it with the 9DoF. My apologies haha. It's been a journey and a half getting my head wrapped around all of this.

I was talking to a friend and we decided that standoffs would be the best option to get the board onto the Lilypad. I'll also probably have to buy a breadboard to connect the haptic driver chip as well.

Sorry for the confusion CrossRoads. I have that schematic and code saved actually. Just had them mixed with something else.

Ok, keep plugging away then.