[Update] Tellurium: serial monitor

Yeah the Print.cpp code I looked at convinced me it's the better option too.

You coded this in java? Looks neat. A lot of people isn't happy with the default one from Arduino IDE, maybe I can add this to my mod as an option. (I tried to add someway to debug things, but is very primitive, it just cleans the output so you see 1 screen of data refreshed). Arduino IDE just need to share the comport and bauds when opening the Monitor, and also be able to close it on demand but that's everything.

Also, the options for the serial port seem complex for a normal arduino user, maybe you can collapse them below the bauds (usually the only thing they need from arduino), so including the current collapsive panels I can see from the image, when everything is collapsed, the looks will be similar to the official one, but you can uncollapse the serial port list, serial port options, debug.

Thanks, eried.

It's written in Delphi. I hear you on the com port settings - have been thinking of rearranging a few things so I appreciate the feedback, I can definitely implement something similar to what you suggest.

No download? Bummer.

codlink:
No download? Bummer.

The app is still in development :slight_smile: I'll post a link once it's working (ie all the buttons do something).

It works much better with the debug library, which requires attention also, so delayed x 2.

Thanks for your interest.

If you need someone to test it, send me a PM. 8)

codlink:
If you need someone to test it, send me a PM. 8)

As soon as it's in a state of testability, I will do so. You're running Windows, I take it?

Windows 7 Ultimate x64 w/latest updates.

Still enhancing functionality in both the app and the library, writing things I need to work out wtf is going on with my own Arduino development...

Once it's all up and running, I'd like to run as complex a sketch as I can as an example of what the library + app can do.

Any suggestions on one of the more complex examples users can obtain from the Playground? Preferably a tutorial or similar that actually does something, that does not require esoteric hardware, with some functions and what not, rather than a library which are typically designed to be used more as black boxes?

Thanks.

After the flood of responses to my query, I have decided I will probably demo the debug library with this tutorial: Google Code Archive - Long-term storage for Google Code Project Hosting.

After the flood of responses to my query

Not uncommon, I started a thread the other and not a single response :slight_smile:

Rob

Graynomad:

After the flood of responses to my query

Not uncommon, I started a thread the other and not a single response :slight_smile:

Rob

And you can't seem to list threads started by a user any more, so I can't find it to post in it for you.

I get there's not a lot of excitement / interest about this app I've written, so it's no problem.

Is the market big for the Arduino - or is the bell curve skewed towards the beginner with 0 programming experience regardless of size? I have seen more than a few balance robots demoed on youtube but someone here managed to successfully launch a kickstarter for a balance robot. Curious.

I am sure there is more people interested. Since you haven't put up any files for people to look at it first hand*, they may not have anything to say yet.

I have looked at most of the free monitors out there and they just don't seem right for me. I have outgrown the Arduino Serial Monitor and looking for something with a few more features.

*There have been members here that state they have a perfect program/software they are developing, then after a while, they are never heard from again.

codlink:
I am sure there is more people interested. Since you haven't put up any files for people to look at it first hand*, they may not have anything to say yet.

I have looked at most of the free monitors out there and they just don't seem right for me. I have outgrown the Arduino Serial Monitor and looking for something with a few more features.

*There have been members here that state they have a perfect program/software they are developing, then after a while, they are never heard from again.

Cheers mate. I hear you on the fly by nighters, I have found you get that in all forums.

My problems are

1. perfectionism
  2. brainstorming success

I think of more enhancements (to do things I need, let alone want) and the development continues...

I'll aim to get something useable / testable by the end of the weekend and post a link to a download.

It's only one exe but I'll probably do an installer so it can be easily uninstalled.

What would be the three functions you want the most in a monitor?

Right now, I am looking for just the basics.

Be able to stop the scroll
Maybe delay the scrolling (adjustable)
Non blocking.

Those are what I need right now.

I will probably post more as I remember my thoughts from looking and testing other monitors.

non-blocking?

HEX printing of control chars and/or just a full stop printed in a control char's place so you can see the activity. eg

WERTY..ASDFF.XCVB..

indicating two TABs after the first block, one TAB after the second and a trailing CR/LF

Rob

Ah dear. The wonders of programming in multiple languages... I wanted to throw together a quick sketch to see which characters would print. so I did this:

Serial.println("ASCII characters:");
    for (byte b = 1; b < 256; b++) {
        Serial.print((int)b);
        Serial.print(" = ");
        Serial.println((char)b);
    }

Yes. That is an infinite loop. Spent the last n minutes going bonkers trying to work out why...

Phew!

Results soon.

Took me a second or two :slight_smile:

Graynomad:
Took me a second or two :slight_smile:

First thing I do in my sketches is turn pin 13 off - it's too bright with the board right next to me... and now that pesky Tx LED is staying on. So I knew what was happening, just not why...

Serial.println("ASCII characters:");
    for (int i = 0; i < 256; i++) {
        Serial.print((int)i);
        Serial.print(" = ");
        Serial.print((char)i);
        if (((i+1) % 12) == 0) Serial.println("");
        else Serial.print((char)9);

Raw ascii output - minimal replacements:

Same sketch output, showing a couple of optional replacements:

I see I missed #1 the first time around - that's been fixed now.