First test of CNC Miller conversion

How much are you charging for a small pcb :wink:

Grumpy Mike, thanks a lot for your help in my other thread about noise, I'm extremely interested in your moves from the rep rap code to your arduino mill, I'm going to be building a simple router using easy drivers? Are these compatible with the code for cool drivers you used (step and dir pins?)

also, how were you planning on implementing limit switches, connected directly into the arduino?

Man! That's awesome. I really would like to convert a mill like this.

Before you go gun-ho on milling FR4, you really should look into the health problems of breathing in fiberglass. I know you'll say that you were no where near it, or you clean up afterwards - but I don't think that it cuts it (no pun intended) it stays in the air.

Yes I am not planning to use FR4 at the moment due to the extra wear it puts on the tools. All the stuff so far has been SRBP. I will use a vacuum cleaner close by the miller if I plan on using fibre glass board.
Thanks

Development on the miller has temporally stopped because I am now on with the project that I built the miller for. When that is done I will finish off the design and put it on line.

Are these compatible with the code for cool drivers you used (step and dir pins?)

Yes most stepping motor controllers have step and direction pins.

how were you planning on implementing limit switches

Limit switches and motor control are on a MSP23S17 port expander.

Grumpy_Mike,

Seems like your setup may be able to cut holes on plastic project boxes, like LCD windows and button holes and connector holes with a router bit. Have you got any plan for that?

Yes I am part way through writing a Processing app that will generate Gcode files of holes of various sizes and shapes. I used it to cut some hexagonal inlays in some MDF so nuts could be recessed into a block of MDF that was then bolted to the work area. This allowed me to mill an area flat so I could compensate for a slight tilt in the axis that resulted in a 1mm difference in height between each ends of the X axis.
The program generates round, hex, square, oblong, D shaped and notch shaped holes. This is a screen dump of the D-Shaped holes showing the tool diameter.

There are also some applications that design front panels and produce DXF files, so I am writing a DXF reader and translator into Gcode. I wouldn't have to do this if I could get some of the free Gcode generators working but all the ones I have tried don't work on my mac. I am also too mean to pay money for one especially the silly money some people ask for them. When they are finished I will put them all on line.

grumpy mike is very helpful, and his router is ballin.

Very nice!!

is there any chance that we could get some pictures of the rig and maybe even the mounts you made for the motors

i've been thinking about buying and modding one of those ever since i saw it in the proxxon catalog

WoWW mike!

Very nice Mike,
It would be nice if you could integrate all the conversions from one common ( free ? ) drawing program/ to Gcode / to machine code in one, we would all build or buy your miller, Oh what fame !.

I got completely lost with the Reprap and dxf and gcode, so I just made my 2 axis machine wander round like an old fashioned "turtle" with simple code, but at least I mastered the stepper motors.

OK I still have this quiz of the 61 leds and switches, is one switch and LED power? or do they all do the same?

this quiz of the 61 leds and switches

Sorry don't understand. Can you explain a bit more.

"I might be able to do the project without the miller. I won't say what it is but it involves LEDs and switches. A clue is it involves 61 of them, not a very binary number."

Hi @Grumpy_Mike,

What moving speed (xy axes) and RPM(Proxxon mill) you used in milling that RFID coil? Thank you!

Best regards,
Vasi

I used a speed of 200 for the axis and 10,000 rpm on the spindle.

The project is on line now at:-
http://www.thebox.myzen.co.uk/Hardware/CNC_Conversion.html

Seriously, I still wonder at these amazing CNC's.

Thank you Mike, I saw your site already! Thank you for the answer and for the goodies you put there for us!

Vasi

Mike, do you have any sources for info on choosing the correct tooling? I have no idea where to start.

I am still struggling on tooling. You can try and ask on some of the CNC forums like:-
http://www.mycncuk.com/forums/forum.php