Lost my files. And now?

I did a work for physics using arduino one year ago.
Mean while I changed computer ('cause my old one broke) and I lost my arduino files that were on the computer.
However my arduino is still programed and if I open the Serial Monitor it still do what I asked it to do.
But I don't know how to acess the file, I mean, how can I do to "download" the "script" that's on my arduino and put it on my computer so I can change it?
:~
I hope you understand what I'm saying, since english is not my native language. :disappointed_relieved:

Thanks

You can't recover your original source code from the Arduino. It is possible to retrieve the compiled executable file, using avrdude, but you can't then convert that back to a sketch. I think you're going to have to rewrite it.

Oh, ok. :~
Thanks!

You might want to look into an off-site backup solution, like Carbonite or Crashplan. Or if you don't have a lot of data, Google Drive will let you store 5gb for free.

Or post the finished code in the exhibition section of the site :stuck_out_tongue:

How much work will it be to rewrite the code?

Mean while I changed computer ('cause my old one broke)

What was broken on the computer?
If you still have the device you can try to mount is as an external disk to a linux system to see if data can be recovered.

Don't you know a "nerd" that can revive old disks/computers etc.?

You can also mail your sources to a 2nd gmail account. Lots of free storage and accessible from anywhere

robtillaart:
You can also mail your sources to a 2nd gmail account. Lots of free storage and accessible from anywhere

Or better yet, just move your sketch folder into your Google Drive folder.

Arrch:

robtillaart:

Or better yet, just move your sketch folder into your Google Drive folder.

I personally don't trust google so much. I always log out of any google account before performing a google search. They are for-profit company :wink:

Having a flash drive is all it takes.

liudr:
They are for-profit company :wink:

Who isn't now-a-days?

liudr:
Having a flash drive is all it takes.

Not really, you need to think about a tiered support. If files are really important, you want to keep generations of the file, so that you can go back to old versions if you accidently delete or corrupt the file (or make a major mistake in coding, and you want to undo those changes). A RAID system won't help you here, as it will delete the file on all of the disks. All a RAID system does is allow you to continue if you have a hard drive failure on one disk. If you have a single flash drive that you just copy the current contents of your hard drive, it will be deleted there as well unless you noticed the file was deleted before doing the backup.

You also want to think about backups offsite in case your house burns down or somebody steals your computer and all of the flash drives that are sitting next to it. Keeping a flash drive at work, and rotating the backups helps (as long as you backup early and backup often). For smaller amounts of data, you can also use your cell phone. As somebody else mentioned, posting the code to the playground is one way to get it backed up.

Obviously if you have sensitive information on your disks, you need to make sure all of the backups are encrypted.

Every so often, you want to test your backup procedures, to make sure the files are indeed being backed up.

MichaelMeissner,

Agreed! I usually keep folders such as 2012-12-07 with all my file backups. I keep adding more such folders until the drive is full, then milk rule applies. I only keep one backup of my pictures and videos.

take the hard drive out of your old computer and git it loaded on to your new computer

wizdum:
You might want to look into an off-site backup solution, like Carbonite or Crashplan. Or if you don't have a lot of data, Google Drive will let you store 5gb for free.

Everything that I have in my "EE" folder (yeah, I am a hobbiest but I still call the folder EE) including thousands of PDF datasheets, 3 versions of Arduino, all my source code and many downloaded examples, etc, all fit on an 8GB memory stick. That is my backup solution and it works fine. There is no reason not to back this stuff up, it's usually smaller than a decent sized movie file. You can easily keep multiple thumb drives and keep one offsite.

MichaelMeissner:
Not really, you need to think about a tiered support. If files are really important, you want to keep generations of the file, so that you can go back to old versions if you accidently delete or corrupt the file (or make a major mistake in coding, and you want to undo those changes).

Install Visual Source Safe if you have a copy. It's damn simple and the "database" is just a bunch of files themselves you can copy off to a thumb drive.