AS1130 Ongoing Discussion 132 Individually controllable, PWM LED driver

because the compiler doesn't work with underscores!

Now I'm getting more and more convinced you are taking the mickey.

You say you are using a compiler that won't allow underscores, doesn't allow the #define directive and won't let you include header files.

All I can say to that is BOLLOX

Goodbye...I'm sure you've provided lots of entertainment for the readers of this and the other thread you filled with your bullshit.

I will be ignoring you from now on.

Sounds like you literally have the crappiest compiler ever.
....I thought we made the ignoring clear in the last thread actually.

So I hope life is going well Hex,

I thought I'd give you an update considering I'm not here that often anymore.
I have my items coming in the mail, solder paste and such. Once I get them, i'm gonna go get a skillet for skillet reflow.
At that point I may or may not have enough time to work with it until classes start back up again (funny how I'm more busy during my "break" instead of the school semester).
I have 2 Winterm classes, a website, a game, 2 jobs, and my first product to work on so its difficult.

If I get anything at all going, I'll let you know.

Hi funky m8!

Happy New Year and all that. :grin:

It'll be great to see what you produce when you finally get back to Uni and have some time on your hands.... :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin:

...ain't it just the truth...

Can't wait to see the outcome of the reflow attempt...I might have a go with the 'toaster' method myself although I can pretty well hand solder any chip with legs, there are some chips that are only available in TFN packages and that's where the reflow would come in handy.

If I ever win the lottery, I'll get a proper station and pick and place machine... :grin:

Keep me informed, especially software wise.

And I can't remember that I said that it won't include header files.

Even I remember that, back early in the other thread that we thought had been left behind.

Honestly binarygod I'd put money on there being no C compiler in this universe that doesn't handle #define, #include and _, it just can't happen.

Show us a 10 line program with an underscore and the resultant error message and we may believe you, until then as far as I can see you're just taking the piss.

Rob

Happy New Year Rob. :grin:

Thanks, I totally forgot and wondered what all the noise was a couple of nights ago, must have been fireworks. So apart from being last_year +1, what year is it anyway?

Rob

#include normally.h

#define last_year 2012

int this_year;

void main() 
{
   this_year = last_year++
}

*** Error *** Error *** Error *** Error *** Error [#include ?????? don't be daft]
*** Error *** Error *** Error *** Error *** Error [you can't bung 2012 into an int]
*** Error *** Error *** Error *** Error *** Error [underscores not allowed]
*** Error *** Error *** Error *** Error *** Error [#define not recognised]

*** Error *** Error *** Error *** Error *** Error 
*** Error *** Error *** Error *** Error *** Error 

*** Error *** Error *** Error *** Error *** Error [compiler will self-destruct in 1 minute]

:grin:
I know what you mean m8...I tend to be unimpressed by all the 'holiday' rubbish as well....

I saw that lot in the notification email and thought it was for real from binaygod's compiler :slight_smile:

Anyway now I see your problem, no ; after the this_year assignment.

I can't wait for the Xmas/NY BS to be over with so I can buy a satellite dish, but then when I worked I loved the time off of course, I'm just in grumpy old(ish) man mode.

I just realised you're from Southport, is that the Southport sort of half way up on the west coast? If so my best friend's wife's brother lives there.

Rob

Yep..that's the one... 8)

I'm not a native though...born in Macclesfield, dragged up in Manchester, 8 years as Army Radio & Electronics Tech moving around a bit, 20+ years near Lands End, Cornwall, then back to Germany, then Hastings, now Southport and thinking of moving back to Cornwall now I've retired.

Not done the whole deal like you old chap...too f%@!ng cold in N. Europe but I've done a bit of nomadding myself and I'm more salt and pepper than gray ( :grin:) but I think we have quite a few things in common...

but I think we have quite a few things in common...

Sounds like it.

I'm probably still more pepper than salt but I figured I'd think ahead with my forum name :slight_smile:

Rob

but I figured I'd think ahead with my forum name

Also fortunate having a (not very) colourful surname.... :grin: :grin:

What can I do to increase the clock?

I just couldn't resist this one.... ]:smiley: ]:smiley:

Try winding it up.

grabs popcorn

:stuck_out_tongue:

ematson5897:
grabs popcorn

:stuck_out_tongue:

]:smiley: ]:smiley: ]:smiley: ]:smiley:

popcorn.gif

YESSSS!! A real question. (at least from my point of view)
Binary, I can research a little bit tonight when I'm done with my classes if they end as planned. For me, I don't mean to hate, I just don't like babysitting another persons project. I've planned my life on that notion. I just can't stand it, its not how I roll.

But this is also a chance for me to learn something too.

I'll see if I can find something when I get a chance

post the code producing the trace.

A couple of points.

1. who commented out the delays in the I2C driver?
  2. you need to ignore the SYNC line at this point. It makes no sense to read it until you have followed the setup procedure for the chip.
  3. you are not understanding the datasheet correctly. The master only ever sends an ACK when it is READING. In this case it is writing.
  4. I started to analyse your traces until I noticed someone had tampered with the driver. The clock seems to be doing the right thing but the SDA appears to be random (which is no wonder if someone has f*cked up the timing)

Anyway...I'm not inviting a barrage of unrelated questions but attached is a trace from a LA which shows EXACTLY what the trace should look like with NO ack from the slave.
and also the first write to a different address to show you what the ACK pulse timing should look like.

HTH.

So the main problem are the timings?

The main problem (at the moment) is that you had a perfectly good driver that works for everyone with your compiler...and you changed it so that it doesn't work any more.

You need to post what happens when you haven't tampered with the driver.

You also need to ignore the CLKSYNC register..it has nothing to do with this.

I suggest you compile this....

void main()                  
{
IIC_INIT();

while(1)
 {
   IIC_start();
   IIC_write(0x60);
   IIC_write(0xfd);
   IIC_write(0xc0);
   IIC_stop();
 }		
}

...which will compile on your compiler and run it (forever) until you get an ACK back from the AS1130. If you don't it can only be 1 of 2 things.

1. You have the wrong address (Iwould suggest trying 0x30 which is the 7 bit addr)
  2. Something is wrong with your hardware.

Every write should get an ack.

NEVER EVER think you can solve a problem by changing ANYTHING that comes with a compiler (unless you know EXACTLY what you are doing)
The delays in your driver are there for a reason... :fearful:

Popcorn anyone? :grin:

Also some pics of your hardware might help.

what size pullups have you on the clk and data lines?

Sorry you don't understand. I forget sometimes you are not a native English speaker

The main problem (at the moment) is that you had a perfectly good driver that works for everyone with your compiler...and you changed it so that it doesn't work any more.

The problem is: You changed the driver. Now it doesn't work.

You need to post what happens when you haven't tampered with the driver.

Undo what you changed in the driver and then post the results of running the code. 'Scope pictures or compiler errors.

NEVER EVER think you can solve a problem by changing ANYTHING that comes with a compiler (unless you know EXACTLY what you are doing)
The delays in your driver are there for a reason... smiley-eek-blue

Don't change driver source code. Professional drivers that come with compilers are 99% sure to work as they are.

already used google translator but he doesn't understand it neither

:grin: :grin:

A schematic is useful if it shows YOUR hardware.

Photographs of your hardware are more useful. :wink: