Replacing the headers on a Mega. Can it be done?

I am working on a project that will use a Mega and I am experimenting with various methods of wiring it into my project box.

At present I am soldering all my wires into a prototyping shield ( Mega protoshield for Arduino : ID 192 : $14.95 : Adafruit Industries, Unique & fun DIY electronics and kits ) and piggy backing that on the Mega which is mounted in the box. This works very well electrically but presents a couple minor issues mechanically and aesthetically due to the volume of wires.

It occurred to me that I could solve the mechanical and aesthetic issues if the headers of the two boards were reversed, so that the Mega piggybacked onto the prototyping shield. I could then mount the prototyping shield into my project box and neaten up the wiring in a fixed position and then plug the Mega into it.

So this brings me to a few questions:

1. Has anybody ever done anything like this?

2. I am more than competent at soldering but I haven't attempted any mods on an Arduino card. What are peoples thoughts on the survivability of the mega board when I de-solder all the headers and replace them with stacking headers?

3. The reason for using the prototyping shield is twofold: A. It is impractical and more subject to error to use individual pin jumpers given the volume of wiring and the fact that the board will need to be removed occasionally; B. The project box will be subject to some vibration while in use or transport and I suspect that this will lead to conventional pin jumpers dislodging from the headers. Given those issues how else have people dealt with this when using a Mega?

Thanks in advance for any feedback, thoughts, or ideas!
Tom G.

You could replace the headers on the mega with headers with extra long pins. You could even reuse the ones you take off, on your project board. Problem solved.

You can remove the headers, you need a solder sucker to get rid of the solder but be careful, it's very easy to rip pads off.

I would not attempt to remove the large header on the end in one piece with a normal soldering iron, best to break it up with cutters and remove the pins one at a time. The smaller headers should come out ok.

Rob

How about using a screw shield instead?
http://www.crossroadsfencing.com/BobuinoRev17/

High quality Phoenix brand (made in Germany) 3.5mm pitch screw terminals. One for each header pin, with extra power & ground connections.

Thanks for the ideas everyone!

I'm off to do more experiments...

CrossRoads:
High quality Phoenix brand (made in Germany) 3.5mm pitch screw terminals. One for each header pin, with extra power & ground connections.

I was gonna recommend your shield :slight_smile:

BTW, have you considered 0.1" spacing screw terminal blocks? I'm using them for my MEGA shield. I will use larger blocks only for the power connector. Digikey has a lot of 0.1" blocks:

No - the 0.1"/2.54mm terminals cost more than 3.5mm - adds up with 49 2-screw terminals on a board.

CrossRoads:
No - the 0.1"/2.54mm terminals cost more than 3.5mm - adds up with 49 2-screw terminals on a board.

Yes, that is correct. A 12 pole terminal costs 5 USD. Even compatible parts from ebay is not cheap.

also the PheonixContact will usually have a rising cage. the cheap ones have a compression screw.

dave-in-nj:
also the PheonixContact will usually have a rising cage. the cheap ones have a compression screw.

That's nice. Never knew the terminology till now. Thanks. My power screw terminals are the compression screw type (only connect/disconnect them occasionally) but other ones are all rising cage.

OT
CrossRoads
I see you are using multicolored cables , as in this
Smaller Fencing Scoring Machine.

Are they available as kits ea # of wires and length and from where?
Wire wrapping 8 bits busses is getting too old for OF.
Cheers Vaclav

Sorry for the delay, I couldn't post at all the last several days.
I use crimp housings and terminated wires from Pololu.com
Several standard length wires available, or crimp connectors onto bare wire to make your own.