Problems with the com port on the Mac OS

Good day, dear colleagues!

I use the Arduino software v.0022 on the operating system MacOS 10.6.6. Arduino - Duemilanove. Atmel - 328.

I want to use the system com-port in their Arduino-program to control it.
In the "Serial-Monitor " I apply the text strings and the program handles them.

If I use a terminal program to the MacOS then the Arduino does not accept characters from me.

sh-3.2# cu -s 9600 -l /dev/cu.usbserial-A7004FEn
Connected.
~[MacBook-A-V].
Disconnected.
sh-3.2#

In the brief moment of connection light the LED "L", but the TX and PX LEDs do not light up.

What's the problem?
How can I do to any terminal, not just the Arduino program to work with com port?

I recall cu only as one really kludgy last-resort tool from the old-school UNIX world. With minicom (installed via Homebrew http://mxcl.github.com/homebrew/ ), serial communication works flawlessly.

Thank you very much!
It's very strange, but after installing minicom for MacOS everything worked without problems.
I use a program cu on different platforms with 80-ies, and it has never failed me.
Once again, thank you!

Ogogon.

You can also use 'screen' which is builtin on Mac OSX:
$ screen /dev/cu.usbserial-A7004FEn 9600

You can also add the Python Serial package (pyserial) and then use miniterm.py
$ sudo easy_install -U pyserial
$ miniterm.py /dev/cu.usbserial-A7004FEn 9600

Screen is easy and convenient as it is builtin. If you're not familiar with it, hit 'ctrl-a ?' while running for some options. You can use 'ctrl-a k' to "kill" the window.

However, a strange thing!

I have not found in a minicom for MacOS (minicom version 2.2 (compiled Mar 16 2007)) as a set character that ends the string.
I want to '\n', as he puts '\r'.
This can somehow set this up?

By the way, is for MacOS terminal emulator runs as usual, not a console application? (I found iTerm, but he does not want to work with com port, only the network)

Ogogon.

ogogon:
I have not found in a minicom for MacOS (minicom version 2.2 (compiled Mar 16 2007)) as a set character that ends the string.
I want to '\n', as he puts '\r'.
This can somehow set this up?

Menu -> cOnfigure -> Screen & Keyboard -> Add Linefeed

The default seems to be "no" (which has always worked for me). Does this do what you expect?

Edit to add: minicom version 2.4 (compiled Dec 11 2010)

ogogon:
By the way, is for MacOS terminal emulator runs as usual, not a console application? (I found iTerm, but he does not want to work with com port, only the network)

There used to be ZTerm, but I think its development is stalled. ZOC still seems to be available, too, but it has always been way overpriced.