Hexapod type robot project

Hello everyone,

I'm pretty new to robotics and I need some guidance to plan my project.

As I'm saying in the subject I will like to make a Hexapod robot. I want to use an Arduino Mega and a SSC32 servomotors controller (Loading...

I've got the hardware mentioned before and I can move servos connecting TX from Arduino to RX to SSC and Grd to Grd.

My first question is how the Arduino can talk to the controller by bluetooth or APC220 so the only board mounted on the hexapod will be the SSC32 (notice that SSC32 has bluetooth and SSC32)

Further on the line I will like to connect a Wiichuck (just in case this makes a difference in your answers)

Thanks for your help.

Well, first you should check-out the wireless section on the Playground for general information about using Bluetooth and other wireless protocols with Arduinos. Second, the SSC32 is a DFRobot board and they often have documentation and other resources at their website.

Do you know where to find the user manual for the BSSC32? It's not obvious from the
website, DOH.

Why do they call it "Arduino USB SSC-32 Servo Motors Controller with Bluetooth
APC220"? I see nothing there even remotely Arduino-ish, except 2 wires going to
a Duemilanove bd.

Also, remember the Nunchuck is 3.3V only, so consider that when interfacing to
your Arduino board.

Hi,

The only manual I've got is this http://www.bizoner.com/download/USB-SSC32_Command_Formatting.pdf. But I don't think it says anything about bluetooth.

I don't know why they use the word Arduino either, as you said there is nothing to do with Arduino (you can use it with Arduino, though and it works very well).

Thanks for the comment on 3,3V. Do you think I should connect it to the 3,3V pin on my Mega instead of the 5V?

Thanks also for the links. I will read them more in depth. Although it seems they talk abot PC talking to Arduino (and some people talks about instaling software or drivers for this to happen) but my question is more how an Arduino can give commands to a SSC32 controller (PC and Arduino will talk by serial cable). If the computer needs drivers for a bluetooth, how you "install"a similar thing to Arduino? Sorry if I'm saying silly things. I will read and learn more when I have a bit of time.

margomael:
Thanks for the comment on 3,3V. Do you think I should connect it to the 3,3V pin on my Mega instead of the 5V?

For power yes that's advisable, although some people do use 5 VDC it will likely shorten the controller's working life.

There are also some libraries for Wii, as well as other controllers, in the Joysticks / Gamepads section of the playground.

margomael:
If the computer needs drivers for a bluetooth, how you "install"a similar thing to Arduino?

Drivers are just pieces of code that tell the computer's CPU how to communicate with specific additional devices. The Bluetooth libraries in the Playground I linked to serve the same purpose for Arduinos, if you include them in your sketch.

The only manual I've got is this http://www.bizoner.com/download/USB-SSC32_Command_Formatting.pdf. But I don't think it says anything about bluetooth.

From what I can tell, that pdf file is simply the same instruction doco as from Lynxmotion
for the SSC32. For that matter, I see nothing in the pictures on the the bizoner site
that looks like anything related to BT, so I think all in all they are being extremely
dishonest. IE,

(1) no manual on the site.
(2) nothing whatsoever on the bd having to do with Arduino, per se.
(3) nothing about BT that I can see.

That's 3-strikes against. I don't think I would buy anything from those guys, myself.
OTOH, you should contact them directly to get the docos for the bd, and find out
what their definition of BT is.

As regards Nunchuck, you should power it off the 3.3V on the Arduino bd.

Also, I'm not 100% sure of this, but from the 328P d/s, it looks like the 2-wire I/F on
the chip is open-collector [open-drain] outputs, so you should be able to I/F to the
Nunchuck ok if you use external pullups to 3.3V - I think.

Hi guys,

Thanks for your comments.

I've got now the wiichuck working of a 3.3V pin. I haven't integrate it yet to my code but I'm moving a servo with the movement of the wiichuck. Just a note for the people using the Mega... remember that SDA and SCL are on pins 20 & 21 (not 4&5) so if you follow some tutorials on the wiichuck remeber to use pins 20 and 21 instead of 4 & 5.

Regarding the BT I will contact the manufacturer then. But whatever they say I will still need a BT transceiver from the Arduino Mega, isn't it? Any recommendation on which one?

Regarding the BT I will contact the manufacturer then. But whatever they say I will still need a BT transceiver from the Arduino Mega, isn't it? Any recommendation on which one?

As I mentioned, just as I don't see anything remotely "Arduino" on the bd shown, I don't
see anything "BT", so before I'd buy a BT transceiver, I'd find out what is really on the
board.

From what I can tell from the pictures, I assume you could connect the bd to any RF
comms link, such as an XBee.

You need to know what you actually have before you can know what to do next.

Hello again,

I've not now the schematics for the DF SSC32.

I hope this helps...

Thanks

ssc 32 schematic.pdf (71.3 KB)

You can compare that to the schematic of the original SSC-32 shown on the
lynxmotion page.

http://www.lynxmotion.com/p-395-ssc-32-servo-controller.aspx

I didn't trace every wire, but looks to me like all they did was take the original
board, and add an extra header connected to the RS232 RX/Tx pins and label it
APC&BT. Maybe you can find other differences, not my job.

To me, that doesn't make the board "Arduino", "BT", or "APC". It's just an
SSC-32 with an extra header.