Wearable Tech Workshop Series in Toronto, Canada

Please find below information for a workshop series in Wearable Tech/E-textiles hosted at Interaccess Electronic Media Arts Centre in Toronto, Canada.
If you have any questions, please PM me!

http://interaccess.org/workshops/series.php

Intro to Sewing*
When: Tuesday, June 14th, 7-10pm
Instructor: Rosie Spooner
Price: $45 ($35 InterAccess members)

About the workshop: This workshop will introduce the basics of sewing, both by hand and using a domestic sewing machine. We will make small bags that participants can take away with them, and also use at the next two wearables workshops where they will learn how to soup up their sewn creations with sensors and LEDs. This workshop is designed to partner with both Intro to Wearable Technologies & Soft Circuits and Intro to Arduino, teaching participants the introductory sewing skills needed for these two workshops, as well as basic, handy sewing tips and techniques like making button holes, sewing in zippers and following patterns.

About the instructor: ROSIE SPOONER is a Toronto-based independent curator and historian. She holds degrees from the University of Glasgow and the University of Bristol, where her work focused on transnational cultural studies, oral history and public history. She has worked at the Centre for Contemporary Art (Glasgow) and the Museum of Bristol and is currently InterAccess' Gallery & Membership Coordinator.

Intro to Wearable Technologies & Soft Circuits*
When: Tuesday, June 21st, 7-10pm
Instructors: Ken Leung & Erin Lewis

About the workshop: Soft circuits are electronic circuits made wearable through the use of conductive thread and conductive fabric. In wearable electronics, circuitry design and application are made with the body in mind.

This workshop will introduce you to the world of wearable conductive materials as well as specific techniques for their application on the body. You will learn to construct soft analog components such as wearable switches, flex and force sensors, soft pressure matrices and even fuzzy, directional 'stroke' sensors. You will also learn to think about the body and its movements in an entirely different way: as a means to actuate electronics!

This workshop is great for crafters, makers, DIYers, electronic hobbyists, and anyone looking to include the dimension of the body and soft analog electronics into their projects.

About the instructors: ERIN LEWIS is an emerging artist who is currently studying Integrated Media at OCAD University, with a minor in Wearable Technology. She works predominately with electronics and video in an installation setting. Erin has released video work with the National Film Board of Canada, exhibited work in Nuit Blanche, and conducted live video performances across Toronto and Europe. She enjoys grapes, kittens, and real-time data feeds.

KEN LEUNG is a multidisciplinary designer and artist residing in Toronto with strong interests in wearable technology, physical computing, and interface design. Ken's interactive work has been exhibited at Nuit Blanche, The Gladstone Hotel, and Harbourfront Center, and he is currently working with the Mobile Experience Lab and Social Body Lab at OCAD on various locative and wearables projects. Ken has a background in Psychology, computer programming, digital media, and Industrial design.

Intro to Lilypad Arduino*
When: Tuesday, June 28th, 7-10pm
Instructors: Ken Leung & Erin Lewis

About the workshop: The Lilypad Arduino is a programmable microcontroller specially designed for use in wearable tech and e-textiles projects.

In this workshop, we will introduce you to the Lilypad and its suite of sensors and accessories, teach you how to interface the Lilypad with soft circuits, and guide you through the basics of writing Arduino code to add fun interactive behaviors to your wearables projects. Hands-on exercises and a variety of example projects will be used to explore the exciting possibilities of this technology.

About the instructors: Please see above.

• Certain materials will be needed for these three wearables workshops, which participants can either bring with them or purchase at InterAccess. Please enquire about the material list and costs when enrolling for any of the workshops in the Wearables Mini Series.

Hi,
I would like to get more information about this workshop and its instructors. We are developing novel technologies for these things at UBC and I wanted to check if there are possibilities for knowing more about interests.
Best regards,
Peyman Servati
Associate Professor
Electrical Engineering
UBC

I co-teach the workshop with a colleague, Ken Leung. You can visit his website at www.kenleung.ca.
My personal website is www.erinlewis.ca.

Please feel free to contact me (email is on my site) if you have further questions.