disadvantages to not wiring up all the power pins on a 328p?

I guess it it good practice to wire both the grounds and 5v signals on this type of IC, but I have made simple projects before and only connected 5v and gnd on one side of the chip, what are the potential issues with this? I guess they are internally connected so I can't really see the point in connecting them all unless you will be drawing any power through it?

Most do see the sense in it besides it being a factory recommendation

So are you likely to come up against issues if you don't do it?

Thanks

dtokez:
I guess it it good practice to wire both the grounds and 5v signals on this type of IC, but I have made simple projects before and only connected 5v and gnd on one side of the chip, what are the potential issues with this? I guess they are internally connected so I can't really see the point in connecting them all unless you will be drawing any power through it?

Try reading the datasheet.

a) Each VCC/GND pin can only handle 200mA. You'll do damage if you only connect one power supply pin then load up the chip I/O pins.

b) The pins may be connected internally but each VCC/GND pin feeds a different set of I/O pins. If you only connect one power pin then load up the "wrong" I/O pins then again, you'll doing damage.

Thanks, I'll bear that in mind for future projects. Luckily all of the projects that I have made and only connected one side are still working :slight_smile:

fungus:
a) Each VCC/GND pin can only handle 200mA. You'll do damage if you only connect one power supply pin then load up the chip I/O pins.

b) The pins may be connected internally but each VCC/GND pin feeds a different set of I/O pins. If you only connect one power pin then load up the "wrong" I/O pins then again, you'll doing damage.

I've often wondered about this question myself, that's a useful explanation, thanks.

More importantly, if you connect Vcc to the supply but don't connect Avcc, then I have heard that the chip sometimes doesn't work correctly, even if you are not using the ADC.

dtokez:

Wire them all, decouple them all. The decoupling is the important point, the multiple leads means
a lower inductance path to the first decoupling capacitor, this is why multiple power and ground pins are needed.

remember that the chip inside the IC is also a circuit with it's connection and grounding requirements.

Every pin that a manufacturer uses costs him. It's a good assumption that if fewer power and ground pins would work satisfactorily he would use fewer power and ground pins, don't ya think?