16 x 16 RGB LED matrix

My goal is to construct a giant 16 x 16 RGB LED matrix spaced out behind 3"x3" squares of diffused glass to make a grid of LED pixels. The only problem is i'm rubbish with design. I have no idea what parts to buy or how to wire it. Right now, i have the LEDs, breadboards, and an ardunio Uno, and the ability to wire. If anyone could help with tips on certain components or even a schematic, it would be greatly appreciated!

That is a ridiculous amount of RGB LEDs. You would never be able to drive them all independently. I would suggest multiplexing on a large scale. This is something to look at 11x8 Breadboard LED Grid - Arduino + tlc5940 - YouTube

http://code.google.com/p/tlc5940arduino/

Its tlc5940s with multiplexing. Others may know more about driving such a large number of LEDs.

Well that is 768 individual LEDs ! I suppose you want to control them proportionally as well. The problem with multiplexing is that the brightness will be a lot lower and as this is going to be big you need the LEDs to be as bright as you can get them.
This project is going to cost you a lot of money.
Have you considers something like the shift bright modules?
There are also some RGB modules and strips that Lady Ada do, check out their web site.

Grumpy_Mike:
Well that is 768 individual LEDs !

According to my math 16 x 16 is only 256. Each LED is going to be behind a 3"x3" glass square to make it like a pixel.

According to my math 16 x 16 is only 256

Try the maths again.
While you only have 256 packages each one has a red, a green and a blue LED in them so as far as the control and drive is concerned there is 768 individual LEDs.

Since you are a beginner, you should start with a proven design, or even a kit (e.g. ClockTHREE).
You will have enough challenge programming this device.

In no way have I intended this to be a quick and easy project. Ive bought most of the parts and will definitely be messing with smaller matrices and designs before I try to tackle the big one. What I really need is just help on how I should tackle the big kahuna. Would it be possible to try and run it as 4 separate 8x8 matrices that work together?

Would it be possible to try and run it as 4 separate 8x8 matrices that work together?

Yes.