Using RS-485 boards in a project

Is it my imagination or are these boards a pain to incorporate into a final project

s-l500.jpg

Especially, noting the Vcc and Ground are on the incoming cable side (along with the 0.1" connections for A and B). It would be easier if Vcc/GND was on the Di/Ro side.

Am I looking at this wrong? Is there an easier way?

If your mother board is designed properly, there is no problem.'
Paul

Paul_KD7HB:
If your mother board is designed properly, there is no problem.
Paul

Provided you had a motherboard. It would have to be custom to accept this module. If I was building a board, I would just design this as part of it (including removable bus idle and termination resistors).

But to use it as is??? They don't even have mounting holes. :o

adwsystems:
Provided you had a motherboard. It would have to be custom to accept this module. If I was building a board, I would just design this as part of it (including removable bus idle and termination resistors).

But to use it as is??? They don't even have mounting holes. :o

It is designed to be plugged into a mother board. No mounting holes needed.

Paul

Looks like I screwed that purchase. I haven't been able to find any premade boards that accept these, let alone an Arduino shield that accepts them. All of the RS485 shields I have found only route the TX/RX lines to pins 0 and 1. That doesn't help me either as I'm either using a Mega and Serial 1 or Nano/Uno and a software serial port.

Well, I'm off to go build another shield.

I have soldered these RS485 shields into breadboards together with Arduino Pros and other components etc

I use the sparkfun ones, they're nicer

SamIAm93:
I use the sparkfun ones, they're nicer

Nicer is relative. Maybe easier to work with, but they don't have the line idle resistors and a few other features these do.

The DFRobot shield is really nice...also really expensive (in comparison).

One definitely has to weight the trade-offs.