New LCD user interface and face plate

They look great, now if you offer a version of the rotary encoder model pre loaded with this you will make a lot of people happy -

What do you sell them for ? are they pre-assembled and will you be including the rotary encoder ?

If its yes, yes and yes I might convert the lap timer to run on them, less soldering and sourcing of parts will open the project up to more users

Duane B

DuaneB:
They look great, now if you offer a version of the rotary encoder model pre loaded with this you will make a lot of people happy -

RCArduino: Lap Timer Build Along Part 3 - Timer Based Transponder

What do you sell them for ? are they pre-assembled and will you be including the rotary encoder ?

If its yes, yes and yes I might convert the lap timer to run on them, less soldering and sourcing of parts will open the project up to more users

Duane B

Duane B,

The kit is this item:

http://www.inmojo.com/store/liudr-arduino-and-physics-gadgets/item/rotary-encoder-keypad-kit-20x4-lcd/

or this item:

http://www.inmojo.com/store/liudr-arduino-and-physics-gadgets/item/rotary-encoder-keypad-kit-16x2-lcd/

If you want to use your own LCD, you just need to get one of these kits. The kits don't include LCDs. They both include rotary encoder and everything else except I don't have knobs yet. You can turn the shaft pretty easily without a knob. There will minimal amount of PCB soldering, very easy to do. In the pictures I used white connectors but that took forever to do. I was doing that so I can share one rotary encoder between the 20X4 kit and 16X2 kit between picture shots. The best way to do these connections is to do wire wrapping. Very easy with the male pins.

If you want to get the phi-panel LCD backpack too, featured on the diagram, here is a link:

http://www.inmojo.com/store/liudr-arduino-and-physics-gadgets/item/serial-lcd-back-pack---phi-panel/

This will give your main circuit the ease of mind. You don't have to keep checking key input with loops or interrupts. You can do a while loop with serial.available() which takes very little time. Then you can focus on your lap time with the sensors.

BTW, outstanding handling around the bends. I don't have RC cars but I felt it was amazing to control something this small this quickly with a high center of gravity yet rounding the bend so fast that it doesn't roll over or slide.

BTW, If I can get this line of products rolling, I will be able to order larger quantity of laser cutting face plates and more of those expensive buttons with caps. That will reduce the cost of the kit in the future. If you want, I can also make some custom back plates so you will have a top and bottom plate, where you can mount your circuit on the bottom plate and display+rotary encoder+ keys on the top.

My 2c worth.

It's hard to hide the screws on this sort of thing so I would make them countersunk Alan-key set screws so they are flush with the surface and actually look reasonably professional and industrial. You can get them in black as well.

Rob

Rob,

I wish I could countersink but laser cut is 2D only. Any suggestions?

Drill press and a counter sink bit :slight_smile:

Is this to be a product you sell 1000s of? If so get a machine shop to do it.

What's the material, just black ABS?

Rob

Graynomad:
Drill press and a counter sink bit :slight_smile:

Is this to be a product you sell 1000s of? If so get a machine shop to do it.

What's the material, just black ABS?

Rob

Thanks. I wish I could have my own workshop to do this myself. I'm thinking of 100s not 1,000s. The material is 3mm thick glossy/matte black acrylic.

I'm thinking of 100s not 1,000s.

Then a $50 drill press and a table is all you need. You already have the holes so set the depth on the press, get a cup of coffee, put your brain in neutral and go for it.

Rob

Great! I'm making this mental list of what to have in my workshop when I get a house: drill press, countsink tool, reamer, etc.

What do you live in now, a shoe box :slight_smile:

Rob

I don't yet have a house. All my arduino stuff is on my living room desk. All parts kits etc. are in shoebox size containers.

Well a drill press is only about 1 foot square and it can live on the floor when not being used...didn't we have this discussion about a year ago :), or was that someone else?

Rob

I wish i could help you with my home made CNC machine. You are a great helping hand in the forum.

Thanks. Having only about 2 square meter work space at home, my only option was to have someone in California make these face plates for me :slight_smile:

Hi,
Counter sunk fasteners certainly look better, but I would expect just about anyone to be able to counter sink 3mm plastic with a counter sink bit or a larger drill bit.

To my mind its not worth the extra cost that it adds to production, maybe just add a note on your site that the fasteners can be countersunk by hand with a Xmm drill bit - same result at no cost.

Duane B

I would expect just about anyone to be able to counter sink 3mm plastic with a counter sink bit...same result at no cost.

Correct, simple handyman stuff.

Rob

Updates:

Pictures:

Videos:

More updates on the directional keypad:

Will post pictures too.

Looking good.

Who do you use for lasercutting plexiglass?

vasquo:
Looking good.

Who do you use for lasercutting plexiglass?

Thanks. I use ponoko.com