LabVIEW with Stepper motor

I'm want to control a stepper motor using my arduino and adafruit motor shield V2.3 in labview, how do I do this?

I don't know LabView but I presume you can get it to send a message to the Arduino with the number of steps to make and the direction ?

These links may help
Stepper Motor Basics
Simple Stepper Code

Serial Input Basics - simple reliable ways to receive data.

...R

ryan222:
I'm want to control a stepper motor using my arduino and adafruit motor shield V2.3 in labview, how do I do this?

I always laugh when I read this because people clearly do not understand the Arduino Uno.

The only way for a LabVIEW program to communicate with the Arduino is via serial port.

So in essence the Arduino becomes in this scenario a translator.

LabVIEW <----> Arduino <---> stepper motor

More complicated than it needs to be.

I am pretty sure you could control the stepper motor directly from LabVIEW.

Oh well!

Oh sorry, I'll just wire my motor to my pc directly so it can interact with labview, thanks for the help, no arduino needed!

ryan222:
Oh sorry, I'll just wire my motor to my pc directly so it can interact with labview, thanks for the help, no arduino needed!

Did you read Reply #1 and the links I gave you in it?

...R

I'm currently looking through it all, thanks for actually being helpful! (unlike others.....)

ryan222:
I'm currently looking through it all, thanks for actually being helpful! (unlike others.....)

LOL.
Unhelpful.
Yeah, 25+ years of LabVIEW development and using NI products is "unhelpful" alright.
LOL.

National Instruments makes quality products for professional purposes.
However, it sounds like you are working on a penny ante project, so let me not dissuade you from your "high budget" project with the Arduino. LOL.

Wow, 25+ years, big guy. Too bad you couldn't convey any of that knowledge over a forum post.

Also, I'm just here trying to learn as I do work in a professional physics lab as a summer student, but as you can tell I am new. Thanks for being so kind and not at all condescending! :slight_smile:

ryan222:
Wow, 25+ years, big guy. Too bad you couldn't convey any of that knowledge over a forum post.

Also, I'm just here trying to learn as I do work in a professional physics lab as a summer student, but as you can tell I am new. Thanks for being so kind and not at all condescending! :slight_smile:

You are perfectly welcome.

When you embark on your path without seeking advice and thinking you know what is best then you must deal with the consequences. You chose LabVIEW. You chose the Arduino. You chose the Adafruit shield. Go do it!

Were you expecting code and completed project to be handed to you just because you are a summer student?

Actually, I was given arduino, adafruit and labview, can’t say I had much say. So let’s stop assuming things. I was just looking for somewhere to start, like robin was nice enough to provide.

Enjoy your days of scrolling through forums and making fun of the new people!