Looking for ideas on Heat Pump Controller - Power/WIFI

Hi

I have spent quite a bit of time lately trying to decode a Mitsubishi Heat Pump remote control IR signals so I can simulate via Arduino + c# app.

I finally have it mastered and I can now turn the unit on/off, control the mode, control the temperature, control the fan speed, control the swing so pretty much everything I want.

The next problem for me is that I would like to make a small unit (minimal Arduino) that will site in front of the heat pump (about 6 meters in front).

The problem's I see are:

1. I need power to the device
  2. I need to send signals to the device to tell it what to do.

What I would like is to automate this so I can have the system automatically maintain a comfortable temperature based on other temperature sensors I already have.

So I need to send a simple Wifi/Bluetooth/2.4G or 443 Mhz signal.

I guess anyone who does any projects like this runs into the same problems - power and communicating with the unit.

The unit location means I do not want to run cables down the wooden beam as it would detract from the beam and it is in my living area.

My ceiling cavity is not accessible either (well I do not think it is)

Because of the requirement for some sort of wireless communications I know that batteries is a bad idea, but I need power.

I guess if I run cable for power then I could run a serial cable as well.

So just looking for ideas from people who have had similar projects? What did you do?

Chris

You can stick the IR emitter right in front of the receiver window of your internal unit. This unit must have some power wires and you can attach you arduino to them.

For in-house wireless communication I vote for rfm12b, a transceiver that can send back acknowledgments. It's available in several frequencies.

Regards,
Adi

Thanks

Hi Chris,

I have just ordered an Arduino kit with another project in mind, but when I saw your post I thought, "That looks useful!". We have a Mitsubishi heat pump system too and so I would be very interested in any info you would be prepared to share, it's a great system but lacks a good programmable controller.

I have not used Arduino before so this kit (when it eventually arrives) will be my first experience of the platform, so I don't have too much idea about the power consumption of the board and wireless set up, but could you use a rechargeable battery set with a discrete solar panel somewhere nearby? Just a thought.

Paul

I Paul

I am going to write up what I have done but it will probably take a little while to go this done. In the mean time feel free to PM me if you have any questions.

Chris

Thanks Chris,

I won't bug you right now, my kit doesn't arrive for a week or so, then I need to spend a bit of time getting to know my way round it.

I'll definitely keep an eye the forum for your write up.

Thanks again.

Paul

Hi, i was thinking about making the arduino heat pump controller too, so that i could program it for night/holiday and temperature control and maybe motion detect to enter silent mode.

Really amazed you already did it, and would of course love to follow your lead when you get time to write it down!
(i use the fan speed control so much that i put a piece of duct tape inside the top of the remote cover, thus pressing the top of the cover will press the fan speed button without needing to pull down the cover:)

Thanks a lot
Aurin
Denmark

Hi.

I'm also into doing almost the same as you for my Mitsubishi heat pump! I have decided to go for the design provided here: http://openenergymonitor.org/emon/

I will combine it with power meter reading and monitoring my Villavent HVAC system also.

Are you able to share your findings about the IR signals for the heat pump?

Thomas

iisfaq:
Hi

I have spent quite a bit of time lately trying to decode a Mitsubishi Heat Pump remote control IR signals so I can simulate via Arduino + c# app.

I finally have it mastered and I can now turn the unit on/off, control the mode, control the temperature, control the fan speed, control the swing so pretty much everything I want.

The next problem for me is that I would like to make a small unit (minimal Arduino) that will site in front of the heat pump (about 6 meters in front).

The problem's I see are:

What I would like is to automate this so I can have the system automatically maintain a comfortable temperature based on other temperature sensors I already have.

I guess anyone who does any projects like this runs into the same problems - power and communicating with the unit.

The unit location means I do not want to run cables down the wooden beam as it would detract from the beam and it is in my living area.

Because of the requirement for some sort of wireless communications I know that batteries is a bad idea, but I need power.

So just looking for ideas from people who have had similar projects? What did you do?

Chris

iisfaq:
Hi

The problem's I see are:

Chris

Hi, I am trying to do the same, I've tried but I have not managed to crack the code on the remote IR, would you care to comment as you did please?
a greeting

diegt:
Hi, I am trying to do the same, I've tried but I have not managed to crack the code on the remote IR, would you care to comment as you did please?
a greeting

Hi

I have just wrote some details on the Mistubishi IR remote bit patterns on my Wiki at http://wiki.crowe.co.nz/Mitsubishi%20Heat%20Pump.ashx

Hope it helps

Chris

Hi all.

I found a project aimed not at control of external board with IR commands, but to get full control on heat pump with one CUSTOM board.
Thingiverse

Project seems to be completely open.