Ipad Based wireless DMX stagelighting Control

Hi,

as the subject stated, i am currently doing a project on trying to control the DMX stagelighting with the ipad. i am quite new to the arduino world, so please do guide me along. :slight_smile:
[EDIT] i can get my ipad, connected to the same network as my laptop, just arduino itself, i can get my ipad to control 4 LEDs via processing. i am currently using ARDUINO UNO R3.
and am trying to get the wifly 2.21 RN-31C to talk to touch osc on my ipad. i tried researching for solutions on the net, but mostly are using xbee or ethernet shield, which i am trying to avoid.

after some research on the net, i found a few solutions,

1. niltoid: Arduino talks to Python
    using python but running on linux, and his solution is running linux on ubuntu. T.T it so much of a hassle and i scrapped the idea.

2. http://makesomecode.com/2009/12/30/arduino-osc-iphone-and-dmx/
    this is exactly how i wanted it to be, just that instead of using the ethernet shield, i want to use wifly to communicate with my ipad.

am looking at a more convenient way, meaning no laptops, just arduino, wifly, ipad and my dmx stage lights.
couldnt find anymore solutions on the net, hope there's someone here who have the knowledge and have successfully done it give some advice on it. preferbly if you can provide me with codes and sketches that would be good. :slight_smile:

[UPDATE]
What i have at hand as of now:
Arduino uno R3
Ethernet shield R3
wifly 2.21 RN-31C
DMX par can
router(D-LINK airplus xtreme G+ wireless router)
ipad 3/iphone 4 both running on ios 5.1
macbook pro os mountain lion with bootcamp windows 7.

[UPDATE]
managed to light up 4 LEDs with ipad using processing,
inital setup to be similar to #2, just that #2 is using iOSC, while im using touchOSC.
my intial setup the router and ethernet shield can receive signals from my ipad, how do i know?
well, every button i press on ipad, the light on my router and ethernet shield blinks according to how i touched it.[correct me if wrong]
but however i still cant light up my LEDs,
i even went out of the way to purchase iOSC and follow step by step guide to troubleshoot.
http://recotana.com/iphone/iosc/en/instruction_arduino
BUT still~ nothing. couldnt light up LEDs.

my plans are to from ethernet shield and router to wifly, after that is done, planning to replace touchosc with xcode. haha.
currently i am still not getting any responses from my DMX par can. totally nothing.

Thanks in advance!! :smiley:

bumps

slappyboii:
2) http://makesomecode.com/2009/12/30/arduino-osc-iphone-and-dmx/
this is exactly how i wanted it to be, just that instead of using the ethernet shield, i want to use wifly to communicate with my ipad.

Just my 2รง:
I think that setup looks superior, If you use a router and and a ethernet arduino you could add more dmx universes by simply adding more arduinos to the router. And you get the reliability of common wifi. I have done a lot of wifi stuff on stage and you should consider taking that route. It is the most sensitive link in your chain.

fubbi

Perhaps there are cleverer ways to do it, but have you considered putting a web app on your laptop that you can access from a browser on the iPad via WiFi, with the web app talking directly to the Arduino? That way you can potentially run it from any tablet / smart phone.

slappyboii:
am looking at a more convenient way, meaning no laptops, just arduino, wifly, ipad and my dmx stage lights.

Okay.

slappyboii:
2) http://makesomecode.com/2009/12/30/arduino-osc-iphone-and-dmx/

That's not exactly what you just said. There is a router invovled in #2. There isn't one in your "just arduio, wifly, ipad" scenario. The Arduino is running a small server sketch which communicates with the iOS device through the router.

The Arduino is running a small server sketch which communicates with the iOS device through the router.

.. or not. Point-to-point wireless works fine, provided you've assigned IPs to all your devices. No router necessary. You only need a router if you're planning to route. Within one subnet, there's just no need. The only thing you would potentially use it for is DHCP.

HI!! SORRY TO ALL FOR REPLYING TO ALL THESE LATE!!!

well yes, there is a router involved in #2, #2 is apparently one of my stepping stones in my project,
however im getting problems lighting up my leds. and so leaving that on side,
supposingly after connecting up #2, i want to move and and modify my circuit,
meaning taking out the ethernet shield and router,
and inserting the wifly shield. maybe i wasnt that clear enough. haha sorry~ ><

PeterH:
Perhaps there are cleverer ways to do it, but have you considered putting a web app on your laptop that you can access from a browser on the iPad via WiFi, with the web app talking directly to the Arduino? That way you can potentially run it from any tablet / smart phone.

well, i have definitely seen some youtube videos where people uses the webapp to control arduino and all, but i couldnt find any solutions on the net~ maybe u could guide me along? or show me some sites that could help? thanks! :smiley: