Serial to USB with standalone Atmega

Hey

I want to create a serial to USB converter board that will work with my temperature sensor. Now I have programmed my arduino UNO board and the temp sensor works perfect. I use processing with the serial output data from the arduino board. Now I want to program a blank Atmega IC with my sketch so I dont have to use the dev kit the while time, that is not my issue, the issue I have is to take the serial data out from the atmega to the computer. my plan is to take TXD and RXD pins (Which is the serial output pins) to a FTDI chip and from the FTDI chip to a USB shield and the BAM I got myself a complete unit. Obviously it wont be as easy as I just said but I just want feedback on my idea.

What do you guys/girls think???

Any suggestions/comments are welcome

How would your "Serial to USB Converter Board" work differently from a $3 USB to Serial cable?

If you can go from a tiny directly to USB HID, you should be able to do at least as much with a 328P.

johnwasser:
How would your "Serial to USB Converter Board" work differently from a $3 USB to Serial cable?

usb uart ttl for sale | eBay

It would be all on one pcb :), i know there is already cables like that for serial to USB conversion, but i want a compact system and probably the biggest reason is, I like to design my own stuff :).

V-USB should give you the tools you need then.

You could use the converter John refers to, and glue/solder an Attiny85 on top of it, that would be compact !