How many?

Hello,
I'd like to know if anyone around here have any idea of how many we are?
By we I meen, hackers, arduino users, electronic junkies, designers, artists, engineers,...

I think nobody can have any idea about that, but a first approximation would be to know how many arduini (can i write that? Italian isn't it?) have been sold during last years. Knowing how many arduinos have been sold each year might been interesting too, to know how OSH, and knowledge sharing, spread.

I may have another way too to know how much we are: maybe counting the number of projects would be a first approximation too.

Have a nice day, and if you have any numbers I'm talking about, I'd be VERY interested.

You mean marketing info?
Is this commercial interest or personal?

You can click the Members field in the upper right to see that there are 51715 members at time of this post. If you look tomorrow at the same time and multiply that with 365.25 you know (a first order estimate of) the annual growth. If one day is too long you could check over an hour and multiply by 24 * 365.25. And just like real marketing, the faster you got the numbers the more unreliable they got. I mean one second later it was still 51715 so I multiplied by 86400 * 365.25 and found an annual growth of 0 members. :slight_smile:

Another way to have a first estimate is to project worlds population on the Arduino community. If 6% is engineer, 6% of the Arduini is engineer.

Or check the threads, and group them ...

Maybe you can do a poll ?

A click on the Members tab at the top shows:-
51821 total members.

I'd be more interested in how many are active.
A look at the memberlist shows folks with just a post or 2 from years ago.
Could delete those accounts and never hear a peep from anyone.

I'll answer robtillart his first question:
This is both personal AND commercial interest information. I'd like to explain the evolution of OSH for a Businees plan I'm sitting at a "contest" (can't find a better word sorry). As I think OSH carries a spirit (like I said before: knowledge sharing, reasonable design), which goes a better way (for people and environnement), than classical design. I think we can all agree about that. So OSH business have nothing to be ashamed of, in fact the more there is the better.

Now you showed me the list of members, i tried to copy paste into a spred sheet. But there are about 1700 sheets to copy paste. So after a litlle try it you take me around 10 hours to have the full list (without crashes ... ). I wonder if any moderator could send me, or everyone interested in fact, the full list? In fact a few informations are needed: date of incription, number of posts, name or number of identification, last post if possible, localisation if possible.

About the poll, I think only a few would answer it and they won't be representative of the whole OSH community (to my mind, but i can be wrong)

Have a nice day

Actually I'm doing the chart manually. I'm in 2010 - 05 - 14. I made a first chart. I'll post it when finished, with some questions. You'll see it's very interesting.
Good day

I can't find the post / stories from when the Uno was announced. However, I recall that the initial batch of Unos had a quantity of 20,000 and those sold out in a matter of days across multiple retail chains.

This is just one piece of the puzzle to your question but starts to give some sense of size.

However, I recall that the initial batch of Unos had a quantity of 20,000 and those sold out in a matter of days across multiple retail chains.

Yes, but how many of them were just in stock somewhere.

That said: You could easily track the "in stock" values of different shops to monitor some sales indication .. (assuming these are true :slight_smile:

Yes, but how many of them were just in stock somewhere.

Yes, this is why I use the launching of the Uno. As you might remember, when the Uno was released only a handful of vendors carried it and they were quickly sold out until a 2nd batch came through production.

Since that time there have been two official revisions of the Uno in addition to the unofficial production runs. Which is why I said in my original message, that launch gives a order of magnitude for the number.

How is the list of names, many of which just look like gibberish, at all helpful?

I for one find your request to be an invasion of privacy and a misuse of the list, especially if you are using it for commercial purposes.

But how could one even estimate what all the Asian 'arduino knockoff' clone sellers on E-bay have sold, as well as all the other manufactures of arduino compatible boards? I think trying to get even a ball park estimate at the total number of people using some type of 'arduino' board is darn near an impossible task.

Lefty

How is the list of names, many of which just look like gibberish, at all helpful?

I'm not looking for real and precise numbers. But number of inscription gives a tendancy.

About privacy, I would agree with you If I'd use the names, adresses,.. But I just count. I count users and messages.

I'll put different charts:
-Brutal chart: nb of inscription per day
-Brutal monthly chart: per month
-Not so stupid chart: keep only those who post message.

As I may have not explained before, I'm looking for the tendancy of OSH, and not only Arduino. Number of active Arduino users is less significative than users registered I think.

Nice day

But number of inscription gives a tendancy.

Do you mean posts?
What ever you mean 'inscription' is the wrong word for it.

sorry
number of subscribe

This is finished!

BUT 2.6Mo

I'll make a pdf print. If someone need the excel I can send it.

Have a nice day

ARDUINOLIST.pdf (1.02 MB)