Anyone in Scottsdale, Arizona?

I've been getting slack in my Arduino hacking, and would like to have a regular local gathering.

Anyone else here in or near Scottsdale, AZ interested in setting something up? (Or know of something in Scottsdale?)

James Britt

Kinda a "dead thread" and I haven't done anything recently; but you might want to check out this thread. I'm just not good at organizing and networking people...

http://www.arduino.cc/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1276902506

:stuck_out_tongue:

Personally, I want something that is inclusive and centralized for the metro Phoenix area; right now, there's HeatSync Labs, a hackerspace in the Mesa/Tempe region - a little too far east to get to on their meetings for me...

Yeah, I saw that thread, which got me thinking about my own neck of the woods.

HeatSync is even more remote than Mesa/Tempe, being in Chandler.

I've usually tried to organize groups that are reasonable central or accessible to most folks in the Valley, but it's a very hard thing to do, and, as with HeatSync, people often just decide to serve their immediate vicinity for their own convenience.. (Which, unfortunately, becomes reinforcing overtime.)

I'm not unyielding on the finding or starting an Arduino hacker group that's not in Scottsdale, though it's my first preference. If anyone has a good suggestion for a location that isn't way off in the boondocks I'd be interested.

Not in Scottsdale but Im in central PHX. ive been trying to find people locally for ever and am verry interested in setting up meets. Give me an email and we can talk..

--Richard

I just sent you a message with my E-mail address.

I was just Googling for Scottsdale/Phoenix-area hacking groups and found this. I've barely got my Arduino out of the box but am Scottsdale-based and would be interested if there were group meetings.

Zach

Whereabouts are you? I'm over by Shea & Via Linda

That's not too far from me at all (it's the closest major intersection on Shea to me). I live right off Mountain View near the Mountain View/Via Linda intersection.

I'm in North Scottsdale / Carefree - 64th and Dynamite. I could be interested.

Oh, very good.

I am in Central Phoenix, I might be inclined to check yall out if you get something going. I have to warn you in advance though, I am a nooob!!! :slight_smile:

Noobs are also welcome! I've only a small amount of experience myself.

We need to figure out some initial logistics.

I'm in Gilbert Arizona and can get to Scottsdale easily. count me in :slight_smile:

Rather than clutter this board with group planning, I set up a Google Group where we can discuss time, place, whatever for getting together.

http://groups.google.com/group/arduino-scottsdale

Or contact me directly if you have any questions or problems: james (at) neurogami.com

I'm in Gilbert... I really just want a darn arduino workshop! We don't have any that I know of...

Scottsdale, Arizona.
Wow this topic gathered many people in Arizona
Great

So, after assorted discussions with assorted interested folks, we have a plan.

Information can be found at http://www.azhackers.com/.

First meeting is Monday, November 1, 2010.

Contact me if you have questions.

James Britt / james@neurogami.com

I'm actually in Maricopa, which is far South East Side!!! :slight_smile: like 36 miles just to tempe

However i will say i went to Heatsync, and i sat in a cover for over an hour, and not a single person questioned why i was even there.... hardware in hand....

I was very disappointed being a new person to walk in the door, and tons of people instead and not one even said hello....

I would definately love to get into this group and i dont mind the travel time, mostly for a monday night... besides i read in there four peaks :slight_smile:

"However i will say i went to Heatsync, and i sat in a cover for over an hour, and not a single person questioned why i was even there.... hardware in hand....

I was very disappointed being a new person to walk in the door, and tons of people instead and not one even said hello...."

I see not much has changed. I went to a few HeatSync gatherings before they went south, and it was very much the same thing. It wasn't until I showed up with some lock picks and started picking away that I got anyone to say much at all. They had no process for getting people acquainted, and no one seemed interested in helping out newbies. Seemed very cliquish.

Now I'm sure some of that is just basic geek social ineptitude, but if you're going to have a social gathering then common sense says you have to take some initiative and get people introduced and up to speed.

You really do have quite some trip, but if you ever get up this way, stop by an AZ Hackers meeting: http://azhackers.com. 1st Monday of each month. And we'll be sure to make you feel welcome!