Update to the Entropy Library

Paul Stoffregen has provided an update to the Entropy library that allows it to work on the ARM chip he uses for his Teensy 3.1 boards and is also producing test data for a couple of scenarios, the first of which has been posted to the wiki page. It is possible that this will also work on other ARM based arduinos but that will require folks to try the library and test it.

If you choose to test this on an ARM board (or another AVR) just load this sketch to the board and capture the output to a text file for at least 12-24 hours. Then send me the output file along with information on the board, the cpu type, its date code, etc... You can see examples of the information I need for each test (less the analysis which I will perform) on the wiki page for the library:Google Code Archive - Long-term storage for Google Code Project Hosting.

#include <Entropy.h>

void setup()
{
  Serial.begin(115200);
  Entropy.Initialize();
}

void loop()
{
  Serial.println(Entropy.random());
}

Google Code has implemented a change that prevents me from placing a zip file containing the library on the sites Download page; however, I have placed such a zip file on a Google Drive and it is linked from the wiki page. You can also obtain the library by using the more traditional google code interface (git, svn, etc...)...

Entropy.0.7.zip (181 KB)

Cool.

Is the Entropy library a cousin of snippets-r-us http://forum.arduino.cc/index.php/topic,197229.0.html

70% or 80% of the code on here should be filed in the Entropy library.

...R

I don't know if the question is serious or not, but no it is not related to that site.

The library makes use of the jitter associated with the cpu's timers to generate true random numbers.

It was not a serious comment.

You must be a younger or less decrepit curmudgeon than I am. :slight_smile:

...R

I am older than you might think; however, I have found it best when dealing with folks online to take their posts at face value! :slight_smile:

Is no one interested in testing this on ARM platforms? I do not have any such platforms I can test this library on and would appreciate any help the community can provide.

I wonder if a new marketing strategy would help?

I.e. a more interesting / more understandable title for the Thread?

...R

Certainly possible, but with over 5,000 downloads of the library I would expect the title should attract its user base. Of course, like most marketing concepts I could be wrong :slight_smile:

Yes... I'll have some from my Digix in 2 -3 days.. I need to set it up first.

Doc