High powered induction heater with ATmega328

I have added a few videos showing the unit heating a 4lb billet of iron. This one shows the iron exceeding 2500F and melting. Does anyone think there is a market for selling a kit for the high powered unit?

Here is the video Induction forging melting iron steel - YouTube

If you search in Youtube for imsmoother there are a number of videos showing other features of 10kw of power, including levitation

very interesting project here..

i think this kinda device should go to industrial use, sir, not many hobbyists have deep interest in this kinda device, since this is to manufacture something in medium to large scale, its just not economical to build something this sophisticated to make small quantity of products, i think.

i am a lathe person, sir, so this rocks like hell to me, sir...
i think u can offer this device to some lathe workshops nearby you, sir, and some factories nearby too, if they have kind of need, since i think its not cheap to get this one, u can offer them with special price and u can make some modifications, to really suit their use. anyway

sir, i went to your site mindchallenger, and i have some questions, do u mind if i ask you some questions when i am building this device, sir?

first time in this forum and this project rocks so much, hooyah !!
you, sir, rock big time with this project, i am officially ur fan in here, sir smooth...

how exact is it?

i have a process that needs to heat a asymetrical peice of 1075 steel to 1550 degrees F (and then needs to be quickly disconnected and quenched to oil) and then later heated to exactly 550 degrees F and left to cool.

Will this process work in an argon bath enviroment? i'm concerned with scaling and oxidation.

and no, i'm not in industry. i'm starting a business. :slight_smile:

not just for a hobby, that is, man...

i am afraid its hard to get "exact" point of temprature, man, maybe u can use thermometer to get near to that point, but to be exact that point, its very hard, or maybe u can use 1kw one for that, not 10kw, but, once again, only to get near to it, not to be "exact", maybe it differs like more than 5 degree or something, just my opinion,

As long as you have a means to measure the temperature you can maintain a very constant temperature once you know the amount of current you need. It will work in any environments as the magnetic induction can work in a vacuum.

You can measure temperatures with an infrared thermometer like this one. It measures -58 F up to 1832 F.

I don't know if this can be easily interfaced to an Arduino, but maybe...

You can measure temperatures with an infrared thermometer like this one. It measures -58 F up to 1832 F.

Not high enough range for many metals. As well as obtaining a valid stable measurement the actual controlling of the power inverter would be a challenge if it isn't already designed for automatic close loop control.

Lefty

Being a non-ferris metal maybe it wouldn't work as I can't say I know alot about the induction process there, but if it does one could build one hell of an aluminum foundry with that device as it reaches pouring temperature at 1400 degrees, obviously a lot less than iron.

I have an IR thermometer to 1000F. That is not enough. You need a special contact thermometer capable of going over 2500F.

maglinvinn:

You might want to take a look here at neon-john.com and click on the induction heater link.

This is my open source Royer type induction heater. Lower powered than Jonathan's but I think that it will do the job. You can contact me directly via email to discuss details of your application. jgd@neon-john.com

John