serial data with breadboard atmega328 and using TX/RX on uno

I've setup an atmega328 on a breadboard and it's working fine. Only problem is that for power I have LM7805 that's going to be powering it. Right now I'm powering the breadboard arduino with USB power from the chipless UNO board, +5 and GND and the TX/RX to capture serial data. When I'm powering it from the 7805 do I have to just share the GND connection? I assume serial communication will need a shared gnd, or is there another way to do this? I usually would just try it, but I don't want to blow the communication chip on the uno board as it is my only one.

There has to be a shared ground connection from your breadboard system to the system (your 'chipless' Uno board) that has the USB serial converter chip, otherwise the send and receive signals will not work between those two different circuits.

Lefty

retrolefty:
There has to be a shared ground connection from your breadboard system to the system (your 'chipless' Uno board) that has the USB serial converter chip, otherwise the send and receive signals will not work between those two different circuits.

Lefty

It works, Thank you!