Understanding ACS7xx Current Sensor

For all I know, this chip puts up a lot less resistance than the manufacturer warrants in their documentation. And 10A through the 30A version may be perfectly safe, generating no heat in your application, etc. I am not criticizing your use of this chip. I was merely constrained by a design that requires high accuracy, low insertion losses, and the ability to withstand long duration exposure to high currents.

This sensor design with its SO8 frame and a mere two leads each carrying that current gave me the willies. That does not mean it doesn't work. I simply wanted something with more meat and some other attributes.

Please also note how the Allegro eval board offers a wide land for the leads going to the sensor and very heavy-duty connecting posts. It also features double-sided high-voltage PCB traces and 'stitched' construction. In other words, Allegro is using the copper on both sides of the board for the power signal and the conductors are thoroughly bonded to each other using lots and lots of vias to reduce insertion losses and improve thermal heat dissipation from the chip.

I am not convinced that many of the commercially-available boards out there go to the same lengths to ensure a wide, thick path or use the same extra-heavy copper trace thickness (2oz copper is uncommonly used, costs extra) as the Allegro board. Just something to keep in mind as you source your gear. Relying on conductors attached to the terminals to dissipate heat (as some design apparently expect to) seems like bad engineering practice.

On the other hand, if the chip stays super cool no matter what currents are being passed, then so much the better for you.