Go Down

Topic: Way to measure rotational speed & height of diabolo (Read 687 times) previous topic - next topic

Mrguppie

Hi guys,

I want to transform a traditional diabolo into a musical instrument based on the rotational speed of the diabolo and the height, or maybe acceleration in height will do.

Has anybody got any suggestions on how to do that? what to buy and how to code it?

I realize that it's a very general question, but I just started with and I can't really make it more specific at this point.

Kind regards,
Lester

rogerClark

Take a look at the MPU9150 motion sensor modules, they give data for rotation based on compass in 3 dimensions as well as acceleration in all 3D's and orientation in all 3D's

Height is much harder, I'm not sure what accuracy you require

The barometer modules like the BMP180 are accurate to around 20cm

It may be possible to use baro pressure with gyro and accelerometer data to give a rough height to slightly better resolution, but I don't know of any existing projects that do this

I've been working on a project that needs height and position data and just using the MPU9150 has not been much good so far, despite me spending a lot of time (days)

Depending on your requirements the normal Arduino platform may not be fast enough or have enough accuracy to process the motion data.

Currently I'm experimenting with an STM32F103 based board using the Arduino IDE as it runs at 72Mhz and has double precision floating point, in a small package.

However, just getting this device to work in the Arduino IDE has been challenging (even though 99% of the work has already been done by other people)

But I suspect that you may have the same issues that I did , if you attempt to do this using a Uno etc (AVR based Arduino)
Freelance developer and IT consultant
www.rogerclark.net

nickn4

do you want to make the sound come from the diabolo? if so, you are looking for some small devices.
do you want to make the sound come from another source than the diabolo? than i think you can do this with an optical sensor and make the diabolo two colors on each side, to make it easier to proccess the rotation and such. and you might want to look into the beginner guide's of arduino and do some little projects first.

as for the coding that will be the default arduino IDE.

and i think and small microprocessor attached to the diabolo including power source and an acceleration meter will be a no-go..

nick
humankind cannot obtain anything without
sacrificing something of equal value in return.

nickn4

oh and i just realize that it might be even possible to custom make the diabolo, and make its disign such that the wind will make a sound, and thus you need a microphone attached to the diabolo to processes the data and than amplify or transform it into music/sound. you could also put motion sensor on your sticks ;)
humankind cannot obtain anything without
sacrificing something of equal value in return.

ChilliTronix

and i think and small microprocessor attached to the diabolo including power source and an acceleration meter will be a no-go..

Surely the LED spinning tops you see about already do this sort of thing? (Detect rotation and can display lights etc).

That said, you are talking about using a lilly pad sized device with a very small accelerometer.

As noted by Roger detecting height to any useful degree is going to be challenging.

Mrguppie

@roger: Thanks a lot for the input, I'm guessing that an accuracy of 20 cm's will do. I will google the components you mentioned to see what I can do with that.

@nick: Thanks for your help! I just finished the Arduino Starter Kit Projects, so that's where I'm at.
I did plan to make the sound come from the diabolo itself, but if I can't do this in time I might switch to different options. Like you mentioned I will have to look at something apart of the diabolo to incorporate all the components.

I'm not sure what you mean by motion sensor on the sticks? Because then every motion, not just throwing it,  will make sound then won't it?

@Chilli I know of these diabolo's yes, thanks for pointing that out!

Go Up