HELP with potentiometer

I have a 6 pin potentiometer and was wondering how to I connect it, do I join the opposite pins and then just connect it like a 3 pin one or is there something else.
Thanks

Get your meter out and check the resistances between terminals.
Then draw a diagram for yourself.

You are best trying to measure it with a meter.
The only 6 pin pots I have come across are dual ganged pots for things like stereo volume controls. In which case just use three connections and ignore the other three.

Thanks Grumpy_Mike I'll do that. And they did come from stereo speakers

And they did come from stereo speakers

In which case they might be log pots and you might find that they change rapidly at one end of the travel and slowly at the other.

Should I be concerned about that or not. or does it mean that it will just change faster at a certain point and slower at a certain point?

I've also seen dual pots used as L-pad pots used directly to the speaker terminals so that voltage to the speakers could be reduced while still maintaining a near constant impedance to the amp output stage. These tend to be of very low ohm values so just measuring the end point resistance of the pot stages should tell you if it's designed to reduce volume at the input of the amp or the output of the amp. And if it's a higher value input dual pot it will most likely have a 'audio taper' rather then a linear resistance curve.

Lefty

Once I have measured the pot how would I know if it must go by the input or the output?

Andaroid:
Once I have measured the pot how would I know if it must go by the input or the output?

First measure the pot. Then tell us what you want to use the pot for.

Lefty

I will measure it once I get home but what I want to do is just make it change the speed at which an led blinks as a beginners project

Andaroid:
I will measure it once I get home but what I want to do is just make it change the speed at which an led blinks as a beginners project

If it's a very low ohm pot(s) as used in L-pad circuits then it will pull too much current from your arduino's power source to be useful. If it's a 5k ohm or higher pot then it can be used to supply a variable voltage to a arduino analog input pin. However if it has a 'audio taper' then half a turn on the pot won't generate half the voltage output from the wiper pin, but that might not be a big deal for you.

Lefty

Okay thanks