Leonardo Clone out already!

CrossRoads:
Leonardino PCBs have been mailed out - 7 cards to 4 countries!

Do you have any left? I want to get in on this!

Yes I do. 13 left. PM me with an address.
Cost is $2.50 for a PCB to a US address, $3.50 to international.
Add a $1 each for additional cards.
Paypal is fine.

Here's a PL with mostly digikey P/Ns.
Haven't put one together yet, the design is very straightforward tho.
http://www.crossroadsfencing.com/BobuinoRev17/Leonardino_parts_list.xls

Here's my take at an Uno R3 form factor Leonardo clone, its been fun to play with and as fm has reported works quite well. Need to run some more tests but so far so good! fm when you bootloaded it did you notice you had too add a sketch(could even be blank) to get it to enumerate on the USB bus? I had a similar problem as many adafruit users found with their breakout, but appending a sketch to the bootloader solved this problem, It appears it would get stuck in the bootloader.

Hi chaps, I got the boards on Monday but didn't open the mail box till today. The boards look fantastic! I will try to assemble on of them and share.

@SparkysWidgets - that board rocks, it loos very cool indeed!
I work on a Mac but the CDC for the bootloader is there waiting for something to happen. I think that what you are seeing is the fact that the CDC device in the bootloader keeps reseting every time the bootloader times out and tries to run the non-existent main application that causes a processor reset. This would cycle forever. I've been able to download stuff on a blank AVR with no problems.

Is your HWB pin, pulled up, pulled down or floating?

@fm Thanks a lot, while not as cool as yours and nifty as CRs I wanted to build from the r3 form factor, it looks like it turned out ok!
HWB is pulled down through 10k pulldown. CDC resetting just might be the issue, since appending a sketch too the bootloader tricks it into working(I will have a complete go at one from my Mac). I do love that little crystal too makes using one over a resonator trivial :slight_smile:
Are you bootloading with an AVRISPmkii, arduino or another method?

O am bootloading using an avrisp mkii.

Yes I like that little crystal a lot, it is very reliable and solders well.

Thanks for your compliment I will convey them to the vinciDuino team. Where did you fab the boards, iTead?

Hello, I made a clone of the Arduino Leonardo using the information on this link http://arduino.cc/forum/index.php/topic,78600.0/topicseen.html.
I did everything according to the instructions, downloaded bootlouder using another Arduino.
But, when I connect Leonardo via USB , my PC does not recognize it, and requires the driver for this device.
I do not understand what kind of driver need for this device.
In what may be the problem?

@soliada - you will need to instal the driver thst comes in the IDE, I use a Mac and hence don't need it. In any case, look around the windows installation package as I am sure it will be there. It is normaly an .inf file. When you first the board in it will ask you to instal the driver.

The Leonardo clone has a clone!
As it says, the Leonardo clone has been cloned even before Leonardo has made its first appearance in society. Yep, we have found a very nice link in eBay, a seller from China of course thst has clone the good old reliable vinciDuino:

http://www.ebay.es/itm/ATmega32U4-Board-For-ARDUINO-1-0-IDE-and-Leonardo-Bootloader-Free-Mini-USB-Cable-/360445807198?pt=Vintage_Electronics_R2&hash=item53ec3e8a5e#ht_986wt_922

Even if the vinciDuino is not a real clone of Leonardo (mainly because it is not out there yet) this one seams to be fairly close (well almost identical to the vinciDuino)!

The only ugly thing is that they have removed the logos, the open hardware logo and the CC BY-SA license and give no credit to the source at all, but...

Any way it is cool to design a board worth cloning!

fm:
The only ugly thing is that they have removed the logos, the open hardware logo and the CC BY-SA license and give no credit to the source at all, but...

You could file a DMCA complaint :slight_smile:

Also, I hear they deal very harshly with copyright infringers in China. At least, that's what their government says.

jwatte:

fm:

You could file a DMCA complaint :slight_smile:

Also, I hear they deal very harshly with copyright infringers in China. At least, that's what their government says.

:slight_smile:

It is just a simple gesture to say it is an open sources desig and give credit to the authors. No big deal. Any way the design was there to use, sell, what ever.

Has anyone been able to burn a bootloader to the 32u4 using an Arduino Uno as ISP?

I have had my two little Leos soldered for a while but, have just now tried to install a bootloader and drivers. To make a long story short I can't seem to get the Leonardo bootloader to install. The closest I got was the IDE saying I had an invalid chip signature. I have done several bootloads before so, I think my problem is in my IDE files.

I am using the lastest IDE 1.01 Arduino, and a Rev2 Uno to try to burn the bootloader.

Any help or experience shared would be appreciated.
Mark

I have not. I use an AVR ISP, no messing with setting an Arduino, just keep a tool handy instead.

Yes, there is a little tuto going for the vinciDuino as to how to "burn" the bootloader to the 32U4. It is in Spanish but you can invoke google translate to the rescue: vinciduino.com

fm:
Yes, there is a little tuto going for the vinciDuino as to how to "burn" the bootloader to the 32U4. It is in Spanish but you can invoke google translate to the rescue: vinciduino.com

Thanks for the replys CrossRoads and FM

I followed the tutorial, downloaded a Aduino as ISP sketch, and loaded it to the UNO. I got many errors when trying to do the upload. I think most of the errors referred to missing board/chip information.

I will keep trying.

this is an extremely unlikely reason, but since Arduino ships with an older and custom compiled version of WinAVR, maybe it's too outdated for this chip?

Yes, one of the things that you have to make sure off is that you are using IDE v1.0.1. In the Spanish section, a wide range of users have reported to be able to upload the bootloader to the vinciDuino under: windows, linux and OSX.

custom compiled version of WinAVR

Really? I thought it was standard, except for avrdude...

Yeap Arduino 1.0.1 works great for burning the bootloader to the 32u4, use it to upload to my pH unit and every once in a while the leonardo board I made.