Arduino + Neural Networks -> Important project !

Hi,
My name is Lucian. I want to make a arduino robot with neural networks but this is my first robot. The project is call: "management system of a mobile robot with neural networks" .
What do you sugest me to do ?
I have arduino duemilanove.
I found this site and i think is a good idea but how can i make this with arduino?
w w pirobot.org or
w w pirobot.org
What's next?
Any help is wellcome!

Thank you in advance!
P.S.: Sorry for my english.

Your neural network is going to end up being very small, and very slow, for one thing. Not impossible, though.

I would recommend looking into neural-network simulation software for old 8-bit computers as one starting point (obviously, the first starting point is learning what and how a neural network works); I know there are a few resources online for neural network software running in BASIC for the Commodore 64, the Apple IIe, and the TRS-80 Color Computer. They may be difficult to find, though.

Everything else of that era was in books and magazines, unfortunately - so you might have to do some searching and shopping on Amazon, Abe Books, and Alibris...

:slight_smile:

From the project title, I'd say the problem is the management system, not the neural net.
Neither is defined.

I'd suggest that you figure out what you want to do. Then, do it. Then, write the paper. And, finally, come up with a title.

You seem to have skipped the first 3 steps. Going to be a short paper, I'm afraid. Not going to get a very good grade, either, I don't imagine.

Thanks for the replies!

Is not necessary to do that projects...
Do you know a project on the internet with arduino ,neural networks and mobile robot?

Isn't the paper supposed to be about work YOU did?

I think of a line follower robot with neural nets...

I think of a line follower robot with neural nets...

I just took a look at those links (didn't have time this morning); those are both very simple network models, and should be easily doable with an Arduino. A line follower would be even simpler (two or three input sensors/nodes and two output nodes; you could add a third middle layer if you wanted to of a few nodes).

What you need to do first is understand what and how a neural network works, and how it learns. Then understand how an artificial neuron is represented in code (hint: an array of structured types, each defining a neuron and connections, will work best - though memory will be tight on the Arduino!), and how the network is defined by connections. Finally, undestanding the learning process (forward and back propagation are the simplest to understand first).

A line follower is actually a great first artificial neural network (ANN) device to create and program; not too many inputs, not too many outputs, a fairly simple task - but still allows for understanding all aspects of the technology...

Good luck with it!

:slight_smile:

cr0sh Thank you very much!
I will do what you said...
If you have some docs with neural network please send me.

Plenty can be easily found, wiki is an excellent starting point for this.
Though something you may consider, if you aren't a coder, is making the neural net application on a PC, and having it talk to the robot across a wireless or wired serial connection.

This would relieve you of the stress of making a neural net on the microcontroller itself (though as has been pointed out, it should be doable.. but its going to require patience and some skill).

I'm a beginner and i think this project is to big to me....
I must have a tutorial...something like this...examples...

A neural Network primer ?
http://www.croftpress.com/david/archives/academic/ann.html
or a complete course
http://www.willamette.edu/~gorr/classes/cs449/intro.html
may get you started ...

Thank you very much, robtillaart!

If I make the neural network (design part), can anyone help me with the programming code for the arduino ?
I think we must be togheter for evolution of robotics...
I think the neural networks is the future of robotics..why do we not cooperate for the future ?
Honestly, I'm happy to open this topic on the forum!
We must have a entire website about the neural networks and the future of robotics..

P.S. Sorry for my english..

I found this robot! Arduino robot controlled by Neural Network - YouTube
This is what I want to do! It use arduino .
Anyone can help ? :expressionless:

I think the neural networks is the future of robotics.

Well they have been around about 30 years and while at one time they looked promising there has been few practical applications in the robotics arena.

.why do we not cooperate for the future ?

So what exactly can you bring to the party? Or is cooperation you saying what you want and others doing it?

We must have a entire website about the neural networks and the future of robotics.

So what is stopping you building one?

There is plenty of info regarding neural networks and genetic algorithms around, also plenty on robots.
Neural nets are used extensively with robots, just do a search for 'computer vision'. This is quite often applied to robots to give them cutting edge detection skills.

While you say future.. I know its the present :-/

But lets face it, untill we can make an AI that can literally learn on its own.. robotics have a limited application since most workplaces are quite dynamic.

Been to a robotics and vision fair and I was impressed by what could be done (OK there was processing power of zillion++ Arduino's). From what I have seen I can only conclude that robots learn new skills fast and they did things I thought were only feasable in labs.
Most impressive was one that cut small seedlings and repotted them, the cutting was done after visual inspecting the seedling and it made 2,3 or 4 pieces right between the leaves where the cut should be.

Still in the labs but interesting http://www.roboearth.org/

like the others have said. . learn something first, then you will be able to come up with what to do on your own, and wont need to copy exact instructions off the internet..
the point of these projects is to learn something or try something new, not just to prove that you can follow instructions. kinda funny actually that it is about neural networks yet you approach it with a linear/pre-programmed-action mentality ;D

Hi again,

I decided to make line follower robot with 4 reflectance sensors : Kit 2 senzori linie analog QTR-1A
Now..I have 2 DC motors : http://www.shop.turuga.ro/componente-mecanice/cutii-de-viteza/cutie-de-viteza-dubla-tamiya-70097
So...the inputs of the neural network are this 4 sensors and the outputs are the 2 DC motors.
What type of neural net i should use? I want to work with genetic algorithm...
What's next?

What's next?

Are we making stone soup here? What exactly are you bringing to the party? What part of the project are you going to do? Which part(s) are you then going to claim credit for?