sonic screwdriver project

Hey! I'm new to this forum so I appologize if this is on the wrong board but here's my idea:
I'm a huge doctor who fan and I would like to build a replica of the docotor's sonic screwdriver. But instead of making a prop that just blinks and makes noise, at first I thought that I should just add a bit of tvbgone magic to it. But then I thought what if I created a system of infrared emiters and receivers intagrated into locks and such. The problem is that I don't know where to begin. Of coarse I will begin by building the prop, but from there I don't have the slightest clue as to where to go.

(Any suggestions are wellcome, and if I am on the wrong board feel free to tell me).

Thanks,
earthquake

I'd recommend the TSOP line of IR receivers, a simple websearch should reveal many implementations and shops that carry them. Add some basic IR LED's, an atmega or other AVR (I'd recommend an arduino compatible one, ATTiny's might be quite suitable) and build a stand-alone-arduino (or RBBB (really bare bones board)).

That should give you a small size, IR communication capabilities and do what you asked.
However, since you're claiming to be a 'huge doctor who fan' who wants to build a sonic screwdriver, don't you think you should be ashamed? Sounds like you should be doing this with a speaker/microphone combination instead ;D

Point Taken!!:smiley:
I appriciate the Help!

My son had a toy sonic screwdriver and astonishes his friends by opening his car with it.
While waving it at the car he pushes the remote opener in his pocket with his other hand.

Sounds like something that I would've done. :wink:

What'd he say at first?

?He who?

I would suggest getting the toy prop and seeing how much room there is inside it. I wonder if there is enough room for a small tv be gone type circuit. It would already have the power and sound, just need to shoehorn in an ir led into the front, hoping that the end of it allows IR through- the visible LED should be able to stay too.

He Who?

He you...

It was in response to this

That should give you a small size, IR communication capabilities and do what you asked.
However, since you're claiming to be a 'huge doctor who fan' who wants to build a sonic screwdriver, don't you think you should be ashamed? Sounds like you should be doing this with a speaker/microphone combination instead Grin

Seems that you made a mistake when typing sonic or something and then corrected it...

Actually, as I'm typing, I realize what he meant by speaker/microphone combination...

I have just ordered the toy sonic screw driver from think geek. I can't wait to get it and start Hacking!

I wonder if there is enough room for a small tv be gone type circuit.

Check out this - it was on Hackaday some time ago:

Called the µTVBG, it packs an entire TV-B-Gone in a 1.4 x 2.5 cm footprint and even has room for a programming header.

Which one did you get? there are many versions of the Sonic Screwdriver available.

I got the eleventh doctor's sonic for me, I also got the tenth doctor's sonic for my brother for his birthday.

Actually if I recall the tenth doctor's sonic is not just a toy but a pen that writes in invisible ink only revealed by the uv led at the opposite end.
Whereas the other is just a toy and would be able to hold the micro tvbgone quite nicely.