Karma is back

My iPad has also been having problems with the graphics on this forum. Must be a corrupt cache. Is there a way to clear temporary files / history?

Send it back to Apple for a new $300 battery and a free tune-up? :wink:

Lefty

Try: Settings -> Safari -> Advanced -> Website Data -> Remove All Website Data

Also: Settings -> Safari -> Clear History

That karma is too easy. I've gotten 3 and I don't know why. ??

You really should look at MikroTik's forum. When you give karma, it is given for a specific response on a specific topic by a specific user, and all that info is in the PM to the receiver, plus a message from the sender why the karma was given.

Also, the amount of karma you can send depends on your karma.

It is not a YouTube "like" kinda button.

When you give karma, it is given for a specific response on a specific topic by a specific user, and all that info is in the PM to the receiver, plus a message from the sender why the karma was given.

Interesting, but I fear it would add to the server's load. This forum is slow enough. The dev's time is better used to maintain the servers and keep up with the ever increasing traffic :stuck_out_tongue:

I cannot see where that would add that much of an additional load on the server over just keeping track of the karma count. The karma reward is a one-time deal, and it should not be as easy as a "like" button. That seems to me to be a bigger load on the server.

But the "like" button is still better to me than no karma at all. :slight_smile:

Just my opinion.

Keeping track of who "liked" who, when each "like" was given, which particular reply "triggered" the "like" and a comment for each "like", plus displaying a list of all "likes" in user's profile page is not as simple as keeping a "karma counter".
Implementing all this might not a big deal either, but given the number of users, messages and posts in this forum I guess even a small increase in php and sql load could add significantly to the overall server load.

Just thinking out loud... :slight_smile:

If you did keep track of all that, it would be a bigger load. I can see that.

The MT forum doesn't store any of that, just the karma count. Just like here now. But before it will increment the karma count on a user, it sends a PM to the recipient from the sender with that info, but none stored permanently in the database, except in that one PM. You may delete that from your inbox if you like.

edit: The "Give karma" there is a two step process. You click the link in the topic, and you get another page with a form (message box) and a "Give karma" submit button.

Like I said, it isn't like YouTube.

@surferTim
I gave you a Karma and I think you deserve it. Whether is is to easy or not depends on how much value you think a karma is worth. I see it indeed as a "I like that post -and I can't remember you annoying me lately"

"I like" ]:smiley: the 2 step process you mention. It strengthens the positive message and it allows the receiver to understand what (s)he did which was appreciated.
The current Karma implementation does not even allow the karma receiver to know which action triggered the sender.

Technically speaking I think any implementation of a 2 step process will have some load consequences.
For instance the extra mails being send (which do not get cleaned up).

But he; don't we all like increasing scores :D?
So I'll enjoy it as long as it lasts.

Best regards
Jantje

But hey don't we all like increasing scores smiley-grin?

...I have to seriously think about opening a bunch of fake accounts just to increase my karma ]:smiley:

There is one to get you started! :smiley:

Whoa, thanks, that feels good :stuck_out_tongue:

(guess why yours incresed by 1 :slight_smile:

retrolefty:
Send it back to Apple for a new $300 battery and a free tune-up? :wink:

$300? Are you serious?

Thanks. One of those incantations must have cleared the problem.

What's to stop me giving AWOL 100 karma by just clicking his Karma button 100 times? If I can, surely it is a useless measure, because it can be abused. If I can't, it must store somewhere that my user name (or my IP address) gave someone Karma. So, that's extra load. And extra load to check, for every poster, whether they can increase the Karma of every other poster.

And once I give Karma to one person, how long until I can give it again? An hour? A day? A second? More computations.

I just don't think it measures anything useful. Someone here may be an expert on something obscure (eg. UDP packets) and post occasionally, when they can say something useful. But when they post they give good advice. They might have low Karma. Others may post a lot but just ramble, but have a few friends that boost their Karma, like a mutual-admiration society.

For me the post count is a useful guide. Someone with lots of posts has, at least, hung around the forum long enough to hopefully know something about the Arduino, or at least where to find things out, or where another thread might be that would help someone.

For people with few posts, you can still respectfully read what they have to say, and if they seem to know what they are talking about, follow their advice.

So I don't see what Karma adds to all of that.

You can, will supposedly take you 100 hours, with 1 hr limit between karma clicking.

Not that he doesn't deserve it (and you also) as two of the busiest moderators keeping posts in the right forums & stuff.

CrossRoads:
You can, will supposedly take you 100 hours, with 1 hr limit between karma clicking.

Not that he doesn't deserve it (and you also) as two of the busiest moderators keeping posts in the right forums & stuff.

If we do it with 10 we can do it in 10 hours :slight_smile:

PS there is no time delay when not using the same name. I just tested it with CrossRoads and Graynomad.

It must be, you read it here on the internet. :wink:

About this Karma thing. About the only thing more useless then the karma count is the long posting threads it causes after it's activated, as this one it likely to become. Someone should find the long thread created the last time it was implemented here, that time with plus and minus karma counts shown. It was quite funny following that thread but had the equivalent value of a delay(max long integer) time sink. But thankfully someone killed it before the rollover happened.

Actually that might be the best solution for the Karma counter, just make it an unsigned byte that will roll over, so even a karma count of 0 won't mean anything significant. 8)

Lefty

About the only thing more useless then the karma count is the long posting threads it causes after it's activated

causing even more load on the website

<resigned sigh ....>