LPD8806 RGB LED Strip - Reverse Engineer (with pics) questions/feedback

So found this schematic of the LPD8806 chip, granted its in Chinese of course, but I have a question about the pins below. I am purchasing my own chips and own SMD RGB leds and making my own setup, but unsure how to hook up.

Firstly, why is there a ground (GND) pin on both sides? Do both need to be connected to ground?

Secondly, what do the PMODE, NC and OMODE pins refer to and what are the needed for when hooking up these chips?

THANK YOU!

I took a chance and purchased 20m of LPD8806 based LED strip from a China manufacturer. I had to do a wire transfer of funds and was very hesitant to do so since I have very little recourse if the product was sub-standard, didn't operate like I expected or I never received it.

But I was pleasantly surprised at the results. These are the exact same strips found on Adafruit for less than 1/2 of the cost. :slight_smile:

I have one of the two strips running with the same code I used from my previous project using the 2m I bought from Adafruit. I need to get a PC power supply rigged up to provide more amperage to run all 320 RGB LEDs on both strips and get my office lighting project built.

The company I ordered from is http://www.gree-leds.com/.

So I screwed up the two 5M strips I bought. Totally my fault. I put my power supply in series mode to get more from it but didn't adjust the voltage prior to pushing the button. I fried the strip and my arduino!

The second strip was after adjusting my voltage down to 5v but not realizing (nor was it well documented) that the display showed only 1/2 of the voltage in each so in actuality I was feeding 10v to the strip. GRRRRRRRR. Another strip fried but the arduino survived. I didn't realize what was going on until I put a meter to the output of the power supply.

So now I have 10M of the LPD8806 strip that doesn't work. Another project for myself is to fix these at some point. I already have plenty of ICs and plenty of 5050 RGB LEDs but have to figure out how to isolate the bad chips and replace just those. Fun, fun.

In the meantime, I ordered and received another 25M of these strips (5 - 5M spools). I got these all tested out and they are working great. I also hooked up two in series (both strips powered from both ends but data lines fed from one to the other) and the arduino controlled all 320 lights with no problem in any of my lighting routines.

I also bought a 20A, 5V power supply from eBay that is powering both strips very well. :slight_smile:

Anyhow, I was thinking of selling some of the latest order if anyone is interested. It would be the exact same as what is bought off Adafruit but cost much less. Not sure if I'll just throw them on eBay by the spool or by the meter yet.

can you sent for me about code program in arduino for drive two LED bar adversely with ULN 2803

Hello everybody!!
I bought a LED stripes a month ago from this website www.lampadadiretta.it but I don't know how to use it.
On this website the product is not anymore in the assortment and there are no information about this particular LED. It's a very good italian website for Philips lamps, full of informations but not on this product!
Please help me!

diegocava:
Hello everybody!!
I bought a LED stripes a month ago from this website www.lampadadiretta.it but I don't know how to use it.
On this website the product is not anymore in the assortment and there are no information about this particular LED. It's a very good italian website for Philips lamps, full of informations but not on this product!
Please help me!

Unless you know you have a strip that uses the LPD8806 chips, this probably isn't the place to post - apart from anything else, not many will be reading this thread. You're likely better off creating your own.

Also you're going to have to provide a lot more information - at the very least some detailed close-up photos of all the components of your strip and the connectors, if you don't have a datasheet, and then someone may be able to help.

I thought I'd better chime in on this as I recently read the post by "cranium" and took the chance myself based on that post. I ordered 15 meters of the same 5V RGB LED strip that you can find on Adafruit.com and got them for something like $13 per meter. I was a little concerned about the process since I'd never ordered from China before or used Western Union but it all went smoothly. Just tested them a minute ago and they work perfectly. This is not an add. Just wanted to say thanks and give others a little confidence in buying from the same place. Yay! Thanks.
Here's where they have them listed: http://gree-leds.com/productshow.asp?ArticleID=TS7X2X7VTP

I ordered and received 20M of the same LPD8806 strips for 117 bucks per spool. I hooked it up exactly as the tutorial describes, using an atx ps.and everything ran great by so far.

RB , RG and RR on LPD8806 Stripes has 1,5 Ohm 1R5 for all colors the same ?
Forward Voltage is for red different !
Red 1.80 --- 2.40 V
Green 2.80 --- 3.60 V
Blue 2.80 --- 3.60 V
for HL1606 use Blue - 130, Red - 150 and Green - 180 ohm ?
Forward Current is 20 mA for all colors the same !
somehow confuses me that all !

1r5.jpg

5050.pdf (277 KB)

Hi, I purchased the same LED strip as citlee. Using the library I am able to get the LED's working in sets of three. However, I am having a problem. Only red works. If I set the LED's to blue or green, they do not turn on. Any idea why this is happening? Do I need to change something in the library?

aaron_sky:
I thought I'd better chime in on this as I recently read the post by "cranium" and took the chance myself based on that post. I ordered 15 meters of the same 5V RGB LED strip that you can find on Adafruit.com and got them for something like $13 per meter. I was a little concerned about the process since I'd never ordered from China before or used Western Union but it all went smoothly. Just tested them a minute ago and they work perfectly. This is not an add. Just wanted to say thanks and give others a little confidence in buying from the same place. Yay! Thanks.
Here's where they have them listed: http://gree-leds.com/productshow.asp?ArticleID=TS7X2X7VTP

I can second this. I order a couple from gree-leds and they arrived in under 2 days (which surprised me as I was expecting 1-3weeks).

Cranium, aaron_sky and tekket

I'm desperate to buy the LPD8806 RGB LED strip from Greeleds Electronic Ltd. but I can't find any online store.

Every attempt to email them directly has gotten no response!

Please explain how I can purchase the LPD8806 RGB LED strip from Greeleds Electronic Ltd. as you did.

THANKS

Respectfully sgroen

52pixel/m LPD8806 strip: http://gree-leds.com/productshow.asp?ArticleID=T0PZ386YP6
32pixel/m LPD8806 strip: http://gree-leds.com/productshow.asp?ArticleID=TS7X2X7VTP

Or Contact Britney at sales@gree-led.com.

I'm about to order some of the 52pixel/m strips. Not that I really need them.....just want to play with them. LOL

dreging up an old topic i know, but you never revealed where your got the raw 8806's from, I need a large amount for something that isn't really compatible with buying the strip lights

Whistlerone:
dreging up an old topic i know, but you never revealed where your got the raw 8806's from, I need a large amount for something that isn't really compatible with buying the strip lights

I buy them from China. Just find a vendor on Alibaba.com. I have 200 of them in transit right now ... should be here any day.

Whistlerone:

I have over 100 of the LPD8806's on hand. PM me if you are interested.

Just found, the GREELED have new developed LPD8806 RGB LED STRIP, in 60 LEDs Per Meter,
http://www.gree-leds.com/productshow.asp?ArticleID=9YQWYTZR8U
Quite interesting products!

how do you actually get a price / buy something from greeled.com ? I can't seem to figure it out :confused:

lukster:
how do you actually get a price / buy something from greeled.com ? I can't seem to figure it out :confused:

Email them at sales@gree-led.com.

Cranium:
There is also a capacitor with each IC so I removed one to measure the capacitance of it. Unfortunately, I broke it during removal. I was still able to measure it at 100pF and luckily, had a larger 1206 100pF SMD on hand to replace the smaller 0805 100pF SMD. Not that I think it would have mattered at the end of the strip whether it was there or not.

You need to be aware, that the capacitor needs to be 100 nF to have any effect. 100 pF is even less than the capacitance in the flex PCB.
Maybe you just got the terms wrong, but i thought i'd mention it anyway.

// Per.