Proximity with IR emitter and detector

I want to ask how can I build a IR proximity similar to this video: Arduino + IR Emitter + IR Detector - YouTube and also I want to calibrate it to put under a piece of glass so I can put any object on it and detect it.
I dont really know which kind of emitter and detector should I buy because there are a lot of them but I want to get a stronger one that can work with a piece of glass.

I bought these two types of IR:

but I am not sure that is going to work.

Do you want to measure the actual value of reflected IR ? or just detect it's presence if a target reflects it?

Just want to catch if there is an object that reflect the IR signal

rather chop the signal to the IRED at 38 Khz, and use a IR detector module to pick op the signal.

It will ignore ambient lighting etc, and you can adjust the LED current to set the miniumum detect level.

These pieces that I have got, are good for that "experiment" ?

Be careful and note that your IR receiver is not designed to output a continuous signal; see page 5 of the IR receiver's datasheet and it will show that when it detects a continuous beam it will only show a signal for about .0013 seconds. You need to turn off/on your IR beam intermittently to keep testing for an object.

Heres an experiment I did with chopping the 38 Khz from the Arduino, I was using it to send data.

http://arduino.cc/forum/index.php/topic,128825.0.html

I might to know the analog value to get if the signal is far away or close to the receiver, in that way I should be able to calibrate with a piece of glass or I am wrong?

the only way you can measure signal strength with an IR module, is to see at what range ( or strength of LED pulses ) it fails to output anything.

Are you going to detect the same target each time ?, as different materials have different reflection...

Well, the project will be something like that: Interactive Proximity Sensing Table Modules, Infrared Sensors - YouTube but instead of the piece of plastic, there will be a piece of glass.
On the top of this glass I want to put a cup, business card, plate, etc... and the IR should detects it!