Arduino kit does nothing on pressing reset button!

hi guys , when i press reset button, kit does nothing no LED(rx,tx. pin 13) blinks or when i try to burn new sketches"avrdude: stk500_getsync(): not in sync: resp=0x00" error comes. i used both (USB and powerjack) supplies at same time, but i worked for some days quite well before this thing happened . now i am stuck with this problem and i have to complete my project as soon as possible.I think my kit has burnt really need some help guys!!!! thanx in advance... =( =(

Unplug everything that is not an integral part of the arduino board, do the loop-back test and report back. The links is down below.

If any part should get hot to the touch please unplug asap.

It would also be nice if you told us what kind of hardware (link!) and operating system you use.

Are you using the official Arduino? If yes which model? If not can you point to the link of your clone?

i removed external ckt... and tried still no luck. currently I am using arduino uno(original) and my operating system is windows 7.Correct me if am wrong, by loop test you mean shorting rx and tx pin in board,if it is correct then in that case whatever i sent from serial monitor got that back. If i am wrong about loop test plz let me know what it is ??? I am new to arduino.Can i replace microcontroller in arduino board with new Atmega 328 PU..

You can replace the AVR chip. However, you must make sure that

a) you get a new chip with a bootloader preprogrammed

or

b) you have a programmer or 2nd arduino board to precondition the new chip.

If that is the problem.

The loop-back test is clearly described in the link.

MADWORM thanx for your help!!!!!!
i tried loop back test as mentioned in link. and it worked out fine. does this mean my arduino kit is not damaged. but problem is that i don't have another kit so is there another way to burn bootloader in new atmel. can i directly burn bootloader after replacing burnt atmega 320.

Hi Deepak,

Looks like you have a corrupt bootloader / no bootloader on the IC. Where did you buy it from? if you have another arduino / avr programmer with you, you can reprogram the bootloader.

cheers,
Pracas

What;s the status of your problem now? are you done with it, Solved!!??

hi nishant!!!!
well I browsed through some stuff in internet came know about few methods about bootloading the new chip viz.(bit bang, rs232) but my bad luck i have arduino uno r1 which doesn't have pin for bitbang method and my laptop doesn't support RS232...... so i ordered new ATMEGA (bootloaded) and hoping for it to arrive soon. I want to know that since we ATMEGA 8u2 for usb to serial conversion then can we use this to burn the code(if i am correct)???????

I don't know what is wrong with arduino..... i got my new bootloaded ic ... connected that ATMGA in arduono board successfully burnt first LED blinking program after that all of sudden started getting same error as before. "AVR DUDE NOT IN SYNC".......

well I browsed through some stuff in internet came know about few methods about bootloading the new chip viz.(bit bang, rs232) but my bad luck i have arduino uno r1 which doesn't have pin for bitbang method and my laptop doesn't support RS232...... so i ordered new ATMEGA (bootloaded) and hoping for it to arrive soon. I want to know that since we ATMEGA 8u2 for usb to serial conversion then can we use this to burn the code(if i am correct)???????

]

UNO R1 has a ICSP header pinout avaialable you just need to insert the 3x2 male header into the place there and can be programmed using the USBASP or AVR MKII programmer.

and RS232 port is every here how come your laptop does not have it,what is the model.

and if you have played and changed the code on your ATmega8u2 then you cannot upload code to it no matter how new and fresh the main Bootloaded ATmega328 is.

@nishant, well i didn't play with atmega 8u2 even if it was so how come it burnt the code first time.these days laptops have only ports for VGA cable RS 232 port can be created by using usb to serial converter.As far as my laptop model is concerned i am using "Compaq presario CQ62".For using ICSP header one need to have avr programmer which i don't have.Now I am in very bad situation as i have to complete my project in less than 10 days and i don't have any other option available.Can you explain what can go wrong in burning a program(i burnt led blinking program given in example). i think there is some problem with reset. let me explain in details when i got my new bootloaded ic, after connecting it to board when i pressed reset button led connected to pin 13 blinked 3 times(which should). after that i burnt the program in atmega and led started blinking in interval of 1 sec. after that i tried to burn other program(avrisp) which resulted in error. now when i press reset button nothing happens. only previous prgram(led blinking) keeps on running.now can you suggest any thing??????

You have loaded the AVRISP that is why its being a problem now its in the burning mode that is working as a programmer and now you can't unpload anyther sketch simply do some manual ressetting the board , so when you click on upload button on your IDE look for the prompt that says "Binary sketch size: " as ASAP click the reset button this may manually reset the board and then let the sketch load into the ATMEGA.

@nishant first i wasn't able to upload avrisp successfully and i tried to reset the board manually nothing helps!!!!!! :cold_sweat: :cold_sweat:

i pre suppose that you have already reinstalled the drivers for the system, i mean arudino iDE and the UNO drivers.

Now even if the things do not work then i think somethings bad with the 8u2 firmware!

I don't understand that because if there was some problem with drivers or 8U2 firmware how it can burn the program first time??????
Still I am reinstalling drivers will let you know the outcome!!!!!

i re installed driver but no luck :frowning: :frowning:

change the chip on the board! Do you have another chip, get a ATmega8 perhaps with loaded bootloader on it got to Website of ProBots in bangalore these folks are too slow but things are fine and may be they are able to provide you cheap atmega328 bootloaded already just to check that other things with board is ok bcz if it runs with a fresh bootloaded atmega then most probably the chips bootloader would have been skunk!

finally, i got it right by making parallel programmer and using avr dude . i think during burning process arduino anyhow changes the fuse setting. because when i used avrdude for the first time it asked me change the fuse setting after changing fuse setting everything went smooth... reflashed the bootloader in 5 atmegas :wink: :wink: arduino is working ok for now. let's see what happens!!!!! thanks nishant for your help and encouraging words...

Welcome!