AS1130 Ongoing Discussion 132 Individually controllable, PWM LED driver

Yea, last party was new years! That was a crazy night.
Its for a worldwide competition.
I can probably find some time tomorrow after a speech. I need to construct the circuit yet, I just have the AS1130 mounted.

I am very slowly designing a 4-layer board with some AS1130's. The biggest pain has been finding out that my usual cheap PCBAs don't want to do 0.5mm BGA/WLCSP.

PCBA?

Short for PCB and Assembly shop.

Oh weird, I didn't notice that "binarygod" actually deleted everything. That's really antisocial.

Why would he go to all that trouble?
I mean its not like he can pass off never having had gotten help from us. Hexadec has private messages from him, lol.

Okay time for an honest question though.

With the TLC5940, there is an ISET pin, where you basically put a resistor there and it would set the sink current for the leds (common anode rgb leds).

With the AS1130, I didn't see any current or voltage setting. I don't want to burn out 132 red LEDs, do do I put the proper resistor before the CS lines?

Don't turn in to BG FFS.... :grin: :grin: :grin:

The CS register sets the current anywhere from 0 to 30mA (0-255) :stuck_out_tongue:

macegr:
I am very slowly designing a 4-layer board with some AS1130's. The biggest pain has been finding out that my usual cheap PCBAs don't want to do 0.5mm BGA/WLCSP.

It's a shame they only do 1 package for this chip...it probably puts lots of designers off, not to mention hobbyists.

If I did that, then I'd have to delete all my posts. (Seriously whats up with that?)

Okay sounds good, I have a lot to do today (Speech -> clean room -> E-mail friend -> Finish internship cover letter) But i might be able to get all that done in 5 or 6 hours. Then I can make a build and try the code out.

Hexadec:
It's a shame they only do 1 package for this chip...it probably puts lots of designers off, not to mention hobbyists.

Well you can also get the Ssop-28 package which is available too.
that will solve your problem with soldering. The package was available shortly after the wlp.

Force:

Hexadec:

that will solve your problem with soldering. The package was available shortly after the wlp.

OOps...yep forgot about that... :blush: :blush:

Hexadec:

macegr:

They do? I see a 28 TSSOP

AS1130-BSST

Hexadec:

Force:

Hexadec:

OOps...yep forgot about that... :blush: :blush:

we know

I know about the TSSOP, but it's actually way too big for my application.

Unfortunately, to this day, I haven't been able to find anybody who can make a board that made for a WL-CSP footprint.
Its more of a massive company, large production kind of capability.

If anybody knows of some fabricator, throw it out.

Most places that can handle 4mil rules can do it, but I still have to cheat by altering the shape of the outer BGA pads. A couple of PCBAs have reviewed this and seem to think it will work fine; one even said it's approximately what they would have done to my Gerbers without my asking.

Hmmmm, my board isn't lighting up.
Do you really need the IRQ and the RSTN hooked up for your PWM sketch Hex?
If not, my circuit board must suck

Sorry about the delay...been away for a few days.... 8)

The RSTN pin needs to be pulled to logic 1 or the chip will keep resetting.

The IRQ pin has no effect whatsoever if you're using the PWM example code. (It's not used).

Are you using the code "as is" or modified?

Also let's see your hardware/schematic... :wink:

The code is not changed at all.
Okay, I didn't solder a pin to my RSTN hole. I'll see what I can do about getting one soldered on after some class tomorrow. I just tried to heat up my iron in my dorm and I smelled awful. Didn't want the alarm to go off.

Schematic...Lemme see...I can't find it right now, BUT! I know its right. I went over it about seven times. I always do a check like that before I send something to fab.