libraries

Hey guys I hope I am not asking too much here, but where can I find ALL libraries for this site in one simple zip file or something?
I want to play with arduino while on holidays and cannot guarantee an internet connection so I would like all the libraries in advance but going through each link (and there are quite a number) I found I was downloading 100+ libraries that are really only 1 meg each.. so does anyone know where to find them all in 1 zip file ready to download?

Hey guys I hope I am not asking too much here, but where can I find ALL libraries for this site in one simple zip file or something?

There is no such thing. There are hundreds of Arduino libraries.

Quite a few libraries come with the IDE. However the others are often maintained by external people (like me) who keep making improvements, so there is really no easy way of having a single library .zip file.

However what you could do is grab the libraries you think would interest you. They are typically dependent on your hardware, and if you are taking 100 bits of hardware with you, then it's hardly a holiday, eh?

Sitting by the pool, 30 degrees C, sipping Pina Colada......with a huge pile of Arduino boards, shields, modules and wires scattered around the sunbed, thinking......'damn, forgot to download the xzy library!'

xyzzy

this is an example of what I am talking about. got a great start list but you have to go into every link to download each file, how about just putting it in a zip file at the bottom that would save alot of time. there are other sites, there is a tft shield I have it has tft, touchscreen, and USB.... but I have to find 3 libraries for this device instead of 1 zip. there are a multitude of devices and we have to download more and more libraries I am just asking if it is possible to start a repositry of some sort where we can "tick" the ones we want and get them in a download file to make life so much easier

I am just asking if it is possible to start a repositry of some sort where we can "tick" the ones we want and get them in a download file to make life so much easier

Sounds like a great idea. Let us know when the page is up.

I want to play with arduino while on holidays and cannot guarantee an internet connection

writing libraries is also fun :slight_smile:

but then you must have all datasheets ...

Are you familiar with shieldlist.org ?

shield list I have not heard of. i will look into it. I do believe the big issue is that there are so many shields. take for example screens. Is there a standard they have to meet? alot of times I see things hooked up to different pins, screensare a perfect example, but you could change that in your main program, but is the rest of the shield standard so 1 library can run multiple brands, sizes, resolutions?
getting so many different libraries and finding out 2 or 3are almost identical (some may have different library names thats all) is always fun and everyone wants you to download THEIR library and no one elses. If a repository was to work then a standard would also have to be implemented or is there a way around that?

I do believe the big issue is that there are so many shields.

many shields can share a library but many have a library of their own. [ maybe 90% identical but just a few extra functions ]

finding out 2 or 3are almost identical

Even functional equivalent libraries can have behaviour differences. The well known size versus speed optimization.
e.g. we have still about 15-20 sort algorithms that all do sort but some are really good in specific situations.
E.g. insertion sort is the best one to add an element to an already sorted array,
and we have the diff between internal and external sorts (data does not fit in mem).

my 2 cents,

so my thoughts were correct.the standards are not there.
I was thinking of having a generic library for minimal function on, for example, displays, one library that all screens will use to do a simple heelo world sketch. then have the extras come later with more specific libraries.
I am after a repositry for basic use. I am still learning programming and having a standard basis for all items. this way I can download all the basic functions for sensors etc and then expand as I need them.
so this basic thing I have learnt is even though 2 items are very similiar the libraries are very different making it impossible to have a repositry for all libraries

Your basic idea is sound. One generic library for displays is, in effect, what device drivers are about on PCs and Macs.

On Windows, for example, a program "writes on the screen" and leaves the low-level decisions about how to exactly do that to the video card device driver.

However we haven't come quite that far on the Arduino, and perhaps we won't because of space limitations.

PaulS:

I am just asking if it is possible to start a repositry of some sort where we can "tick" the ones we want and get them in a download file to make life so much easier

Sounds like a great idea. Let us know when the page is up.

If you buy a Teensy board, and use teensyduino, the teensyduino installer lets you do this.
Just run the teensyduino installer, and check off the libraries you want.

--- bill