Go Down

Topic: Zero (Read 2824 times) previous topic - next topic

Erica1989

Hi,

I want to use Arduino Zero but I am unable to find it under "Tools ---> Boards" . Any Suggestions!

Erica

spirit

try:

Tools->board->boardmanager ( or at least something like that its in Dutch at my side)
and search for zero.

and you must have IDE 1.6.4 and higher i think

Erica1989

I got 1.6.5. And I have attached the snap shot of the IDE image with this reply.

PaulS

Did you follow ALL the steps in the Getting Started Guide for the Zero?
https://www.arduino.cc/en/Guide/ArduinoZero
The art of getting good answers lies in asking good questions.

Erica1989

Did you follow ALL the steps in the Getting Started Guide for the Zero?
https://www.arduino.cc/en/Guide/ArduinoZero
Hi,

Yes. One more question. I intend to put the Zero's microcontroller on my own board (PCB). I do not want to put the USB programming setup on the board and want to program it using another zero or uno board. Is it possible to do? what is the best way to program the  SAMD21G18A-AUT.

Erica1989

Hi,

Yes. One more question. I intend to put the Zero's microcontroller on my own board (PCB). I do not want to put the USB programming setup on the board and want to program it using another zero or uno board. Is it possible to do? what is the best way to program the  SAMD21G18A-AUT.
Every time I ask this question nobody answers. Why?

MKJohn

I guess you can put SAMD21G18A-AUT on your board and then program it with the Zero board using jumper wires. I might be wrong. I never tried it

DuaneDegn

I can only speak for myself but I feel kind of silly replying to a post with "I don't know".

westfw

Dec 08, 2015, 06:43 am Last Edit: Dec 08, 2015, 06:46 am by westfw
I do not want to put the USB programming setup on the board and want to program it using another zero or uno board. Is it possible to do?
The SAMD parts are programmed using SWD, a two-pin connection to JTAG (more or less.)  I don't know of any current sketch like ArduinoISP that will allow uploading via SWD, but it's theoretically possible.   Your best bet would be to buy an Atmel ICE programmer/debugger.  (2nd best - I think there are various SWD/JTAG interface clones...)

nobody answers. Why?
You ask hard questions.  The percentage of Arduino users currently using Zero is small.  The percentage building their own SAMD boards and using "alternative programmers" is vanishingly small.

AloyseTech

Hi, I made my own SAMD board. You should really go for an Atmel ICE for programming the bootloader.
I have been looking for an "arduino as SWD" code with no success. I know that someone have been able to implement JTAG on an Uno though. It may be a good start.

TomGeorge

Hi,

If you want the right people to look and respond to your posts, I suggest you use a more informative subject title.

Zero ...     When I saw that I thought it was about zeroing a sensor reading or an output.
So you have not even got the audience of the  Arduino Zero owners/users.

You as the op can go and edit the subject title to something like.

Using Arduino Zero controller in IDE

Would have attracted more hits.

Tom...... :)
Everything runs on smoke, let the smoke out, it stops running....

Sulimarco

Hi Erica,

if you are not worried to make a little modification to a ZERO board, I think you can try the following method to use a ZERO as an SWD programmer.

I didn't try it but I think it could work

1- Remove the two resistors shown in the "Arduino_ZERO_pcb" and "ARDUINO_ZERO_schematics" attachments.

2- Make your board. A minimalist implementation is shown in the "SAMD21G18_minimalist_implementation" attachment.

3- Connect signals SWDIO, SWCLK, RESET plus GND and 3.3V between the ZERO and your board.

For  RESET  GND and 3.3V I recommend to use the normal Arduino's connector.
For SWDIO and SWCLK you can use the pads of the SWD connector or the left side pads of the removed resistors.

Keep the wires as short as possible.

4- Double check your connection.

5- Connect your PC to the ZERO's  "programming " usb connector (the one near the black power supply connector".

6- Open the Arduino IDE on your pc and select the ZERO board and the ZERO's programming port as a programmer.

7- Burn the ZERO's bootloader.

8- If everything go ok you can now write a sketch and download it to your board.

Please let me know if it works or if I am telling you a lot of bullshit     :) .

Ciao
Marco

avandalen

Hi Erica

Did you try the solution from Sulimarco? I want to do the same thing (burn bootloader into an external SAM D21)

d3str0y3rport

Hi @avandalen I just test it like the recommendation and it works!

the only thing is I did not remove the resistors, I removed the chip instead(I had done it before to put as a standalone)

Go Up