20L203DA12 Samsung VFD - Ardunio Deumoilanove

Hello, I've had an arduino deumoilanove sitting on my shelf for a few years, and i recently aquired two 20L203DA12 Samsung VFD's and i was wondering if it was possible to connect one of these to my arduino and print text.

It has Ground, RXD and Volt in 5-24 V

I ran a self test by shorting some jumpers and it says baud rate 9600, connected to it and tried printing.. The entire screen is filled with gibberish..

Ran

Serial.begin(9600);
Serial.println("Test");
delay(2000);
Serial.println(20, HEX);

No change between the two prints.. If i do not run Serial.begin(9600); then the screen is blank.

Anyone know anything?

No change between the two prints.. If i do not run Serial.begin(9600); then the screen is blank.

Did it display anything after the first print?
What change did you expect to see after the second print?

Don

floresta:

Did it display anything after the first print?
What change did you expect to see after the second print?

Don

It displayed giberish after the first print..

After the second print im not sure what i expected I just read somewhere that hex codes 20 to FF did something.. But there was no change.

I'm not at home so i can't check the VFD board but i remember it has two Samsung chips and an ATMEL processor

It displayed giberish after the first print..

One mans gibberish is another mans poetry.

• What exactly did it display?
  • Does it display the same stuff every time you run the code
  • How many characters are displayed?
  • If you try to display something like 'hello' are the third and fourth characters the same?
  • etc.

After the second print im not sure what i expected I just read somewhere that hex codes 20 to FF did something.. But there was no change.

Well your random choice of a code happened to be a poor one since 0x20 is the ASCII code that produces a space (blank)! Almost any other choice would have attempted to produce a displayable character of some sort.

I suggest that you try again with some known text for the second line.

Don